Forced SEA layover - Hotel question

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by DebraI, Jan 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I was told by Alaska today that my flight on a Sunday evening in March has been cancelled, so it's forcing a layover in Seattle as they rebooked me for the next day. I was told we'd be issued a hotel voucher, and truth be to told I have no idea if that's a good or bad thing. I would rather get home in one day so I don't have to take another vacation day, so I'm looking at cancelling the return flight unless there's some kind of upside to having to spend the night there (like does the voucher stay count as a night in a hotel program, or something like that)? Is there a particular chain they partner with in Seattle?

I've been pretty lucky with flight delays in my travels, so this is all a bit new to me. Thanks in advance for any advice you have on the subject!

Newscience likes this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually the stay won't count for status or points, because it is paid directly by the airline on a bulk (discounted) basis, although some folks have reported that if they give their elite number and charge something to the room that the airline *won't* pay for (like a meal or a few drinks or something from the gift shop) they sometimes get stay credit and points for whatever was charged. YMMV.

A better solution might be to ask them if they can rebook you on an earlier flight the same day rather than a later flight the next day.

DebraI, evilsnipe and blackjack-21 like this.
  3. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm travelling back from Austin, and they only have one direct flight a day and with the last leg to Edmonton cancelled, there are few choices. I guess I can see if they can route me through to LAX, but that's a whole other pain. Thanks so much for the help!

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure which Sunday in March you're talking about, but on Alaska it looks as though even routing from AUS through LAX uses the SEA-YEG Alaska leg (which I infer is the one that was cancelled). Since the flight from AUS is actually on American metal, perhaps you can persuade them to re-route you via DFW and PHX (also on American) and then on US Air's flight 584 PHX-YEG. They might be willing to do so since it would save them the hotel voucher.

5. VNAFlyer

VNAFlyer Member

Status Points:
    You can get a full refund... how are tickets looking on a different airline? If it's the same price or cheaper, you might as well do that.

Of course, if you get them to rebook you, you can shoot for credit on both the operator and on AS (for original routing credit).