Forced password reset fail?

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by traveltoomuch, Jul 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    My usual miles & points tracking site started getting an error from Club Carlson. It seems they wanted a new password to be set, and the process was painful enough that it deserves calling out. If there's a Carlson rep here, you may want to escalate this one:
    • The website insisted on sending a password reset email; it wasn't enough to login using the old password.
    • That email was sent as HTML-only.
    • Copying and pasting the link from the email did not work: there was a parameter embedded in the href tag that was needed to make things work.
    • And the password rules were overly robust for the threat model.
    It was a fair bit of pain to maintain an otherwise very low-touch relationship. If I didn't have a stash of Carlson points, I'd be tempted to walk away.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did this start with an email that they sent to you? If so, are you sure it was genuine and not an attempt to hack your account?

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good guess, but no. It started with me noticing the error when I logged into my points tracking site for something else. This was all legit, just painful.

4. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    i had the same emails from Club Carlson, seems legitimate...just that the password requirements got more complicated but i guess it's also to lessen the risk of hacking ;)

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Club Carlson is making folks change their passwords. Seems ridiculous to me, but they gave no choice.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  6. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well,they kinda did give a choice, don't update and we'll not give you access to your points...