Forced password change

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Steve GadFly, Aug 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a bunch Marriott for forcing me to change my password before I could access my account (my account wasn't hacked and I didn't request a password change).....oh, and the "online support representatives" really should make an attempt to actually be helpful rather than just cut & paste canned responses about how important my security is to them. :rolleyes:

Mapsmith, Kalboz and Aktchi like this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't understand the whole silly thing. I went to change my rather secure password per Marriott's edict and found they actually dumbed down their password rules! I can now choose only letters and numbers in my password -- previously I had symbols and it worked just fine.

So, yeah, "security is important to us, so much so that you now have to use a less secure password than before". Absurd and poorly handled too.

Paolo Scuri, Mapsmith, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same thing happened to me ... had to update AwardWallet with the change too!

Paolo Scuri and Mapsmith like this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use a Foreign Language with unusual letters like a spanish letter or Chinese.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. CHK

CHK Active Member

Status Points:
    yup, first time i've seen such a widespread request for enforced password change of all my hotel programmes....hope Marriott IT security steps it up a notch after this...

Terry Yap and Kalboz like this.
  6. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

Did they ever let you use symbols? I don't think they worked at Marriott. Just letters and numbers.

-David

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi David,

Yes, my previous password absolutely had symbols in it.

8. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I asked a rep on the phone and they said they did not know the reason. Hope it is not a security issues and they don't want to give us details.