Forbes: "Does UA's award chart make it impossible to redeem miles" congrats if you saw this coming

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ahappyelite, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:14 PM.  |  Print Topic

1. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you saw that UAL was going to become a sinister, totally anti-consumer company after 2011, an industry leader with some despicable peers, give your self some praise. If you jumped off the mileage bandwagon once you saw how utterly untrustworthy the air cartel was becoming, kudos to you. Now, Forbes reveals the kabuki that United has turned redeeming miles into (of course they would rather you are satisfied with Zenith's less noisy headphones). Apparently, no one is spared. United hoping that tens of thousands of people will find the Midnight Express redemption process something they're willing to forego. Even their highest spenders are not spared the lash when the bean counters rule By the way, that's not going very well either: United stock truly plummeting in the last couple of months as they outsmart themselves and run our of people to lie to.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnny...mpossible-to-redeem-their-miles/#e3c67642df94

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 3:57 PM
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Allow me to be the ostrich in the room. Forbes does make some good points. BUT my observation is that after reading the Forbes article I wonder why United didn't make these changes before. One in particular is charging you if you miss your flight. What happens if you do the same with a revenue ticket? Joe Q public who takes one trip a year will have to save a little longer and the frequent flyer with status (most of those reading this and the Forbes article) playing the credit card game will barely notice. Except for a couple who run spreadsheets for every situation.

3. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    No question that while almost everyone lost and lost big after United became rooted in duplicity and double dealing, there were some who were temporarily and many who were illusorily ahead at last scoring.
    Requiring huge spends to get miles and then inflated redemption levels to Squeeze into decidedly subpar Polaris and cram into the Terminal C homeless shelter/ lounge might make you sneer at those in Economy, but have no doubt you’ve been played and played big.
    However, the industry has made it clear that they don’t want people using miles for travel going forward, So where will you and your 1.5 million miles be when the music abruptly stops? As a 1k said to me last night: in substance: ‘over and over again they have messaged they don’t need me and my wife’s business.’ So trust them at your own peril-a lot of High $ Skymiles folks looked very foolish when those gangstas pounced post merger-and remember those who defended them until they too became vics.
    Separately: The cartel’s obscene mass marketing to the unwitting and the duped is despicable and there should be no cease fire in attacking them for this sleaze.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 1:52 PM