Forbes: Abolish the TSA and Let the Markets Protect Passengers

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by rwoman, May 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle and jmrich1432 like this.
  2. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love this point and would love the opportunity to fly John Wayne Skies!

jmrich1432 and Gargoyle like this.
  3. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if we were to talk about Windows...Windows 7 does come with Windows Defender(which doesn't really do much), and the reason why Microsoft doesn't bundle their antivirus software(Microsoft Security Essentials) is because companies would cry "MONOPOLY" quicker than John Wayne draws his pistol ;)

4. judge advocate general

judge advocate general Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

and I'm just down the street from John Wayne Airport/SNA! :D

5. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I would be perfectly fine with this concept. Though I suppose the majority of Americans never will be comfortably with anything close to it.

6. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem is, the John Wayne Skies planes could pose a danger to everyone - not just those who fly it. Might as well call it "Steal This Airplane" Airlines.

7. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Respectfully disagree with you on this...do you think passengers are going to sit by and let "terrorists" commandeer the aircraft. I submit passengers will do more to secure the aircraft and disarm the threat, than any so called security provided by TSA.

I would fly John Wayne Skies any day...

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all due respect, do we need to encourage vigilantism? Then again, I don't want the US Army nor a PMC playing the role of air marshal on my flight...imagine what non Americans would think on a US flagged international flight!

yaychemistry likes this.
  9. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but I see vigilantes avenging a crime or taking the law into their own hands differently than pax defending the aircraft or themselves. We've already seen examples of passengers subduing a crazy onboard - are they vigilantes? Anyway, this is all hypothetical since TSA isn't going away any time soon. But given the chance to make a choice I would still John Wayne Skies and you can choose Paranoid Air -

10. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    The TSA is a waste of money but I don't trust the airlines to do a good job either*. We agree to disagree,yes? :cool:
    (*then what the heck are we supposed to do? Perhaps we really should have Marines on each flight;))

FetePerfection likes this.
  11. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....just what we need for safety...knives and box cutters. :eek:

12. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    The idea of a knife-fight between PAX and possible terrorists would be enough to make me not fly that airline - or worse yet a gun fight. Plus, there's no guarantee that the pax would win that fight.

On top of that, in the case of a false alarm, instead of just diverting a plane, I could see a couple trigger happy pax firing away instead.

I should add, that I am "arguing" more to further the discussion. I do respect your opinion.

13. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    This private security model is alive and well in Canada. CATSA has a private company execute the directives that the TSA CATSA tells them to do.

The only benefit that CATSA has over the TSA is that they let you keep your shoes on for flights bound for anywhere but the U.S. That's about the only thing I can think of that's better. CATSA's structure at the actual checkpoint is extremely poor.

Checkpoint setups are abysmal, and I cannot think of a good reason why I need to show my BP to five different people on a U.S.-bound flight. That's just the start of it.

essxjay likes this.
  14. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If some states allow there citizens to carry guns, if for instance one is flying within say Texas or Florida and you are only in that states air space what is to stop them from having a gun on board.:eek:

15. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Total free reign? No, not in an area like airplane security. Private actors are great at valuing risks versus costs and will cut overhead in comparison to the government, but there are too many externalities in this situation to warrant full privatization w/o regulation. A company using the "John Wayne" model will not priced appropriately for the risk created by lax security. The ramifications of a successful terrorist attack, even if in a smaller scale than 9/11, are tremendous. I don't believe private security firms, unfettered, would appropriately weigh these outside risks.

yaychemistry likes this.
  16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's true, but as we have seen, it is amply clear that a government agency, unfettered, can not appropriately weigh these outside risks.

There is no ideal solution, but the current solution is broken, arguably beyond repair.