For those times when you have to write a check

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ben, Oct 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't believe I'm just now thinking of this. For when I have to write a check - rent for instance - it just occurred to me that I could purchase a money order using a mileage earning card. A money order costs $0.79. If I write a check for $800, then those miles cost me 1/10 of a cent each. Given that I have to spend the money anyway, I'm only out of pocket the $0.79. It's a no brainer, right? Is there something I'm missing?

One then has to ask - what's to stop someone from churning money orders? They're cheap enough, and the turnaround would be pretty quick.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought most places don't accept credit cards to pay for money orders...

Grace likes this.
  3. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought that might be the case, but when I last purchased a money order, I believe I was able to hit the credit key. Not certain.

4. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    USPS accepts debit card per their website, but unfortunately the debit card miles ship has sailed.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you were able to buy them with your credit card, what would prevent you from buying infinite numbers of miles for $0.79 per money order. You could just deposit them into your own checking account, couldn't you?

Scottrick and aitchly like this.
  6. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed ben, if you try to repeat the scenario, please share where you had success!

7. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I'll do some investigating.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, doesn't look good. I checked Western Union's online prices and it goes up with the amount sent. CC option for $10,000 cost $436 or for $1,000 costs $35. Paying over 3 cpm doesn't sound great. But maybe I'm doing it wrong. Where do you get a money order for 79 cents?

EDIT: Okay, I found money orders at USPS and Walmart for much less. I guess Western Union charges for some extra service. But still, everyone seems to want a debit card.

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is apparently already an old thread on this topic at the other site. Basic idea is CC = potential fraud when using it to buy a cash-like instrument.

canucklehead likes this.
  10. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a general rule you can't buy money orders with a credit card (nor can you buy Cash Cards and the like). If you are bored, you can go around to supermarkets and convenience stores and see if the cashiers will let you do it as they might not know, but it is against any store's policy.

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The large container ship has sailed... you can still get in on the 1/2 mile per dollar Bank of America rowboat. For now.

12. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm $1.55 processing for $1000 MO which nets 500 miles. .31 CPM is not a bad rate at all if the charge clears as a purchase and not a cash product. But I'd be surprised if it doesn't clear as a cash product. Any experiences?

I've never received a money order, just sent them. Is it as easy as depositing a check at my bank?

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just deposited one yesterday (not my own). Pain in the neck as the ATM won't take them, ie had to go into a branch during office hours. Not sure about other banks; this was a credit union.

javacodeguy likes this.
  14. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, its even easier if it happens to be a USPS money order as you could cash it at a Post Office depending on if they have the amount available.

Isn't any debit card that could earn miles have to be done as a credit swipe? Not pin pad.

15. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    i think that's right. and i think the post office requires a pin transaction. am i wrong?

16. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    What if one bought $1000 worth of stamps at USPS with CC (which one can do,) and then converted those into MOs?

I know we regularly buy stamps and other postage with a CC.

17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can do that? The USPS is desperate for cash. If you buy stamps, they have your money, so why give you money back for your stamps? Then you have to worry about whether the USPS gets suspicious about you showing up every week with $1000 in stamps...

18. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not saying that you "can" do that, just providing an option. I know you can buy stamps and other postage with a CC.

19. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    what did you find out?

miles and smiles likes this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but do you also know for sure that you can use the stamps for anything other than mailing stuff? You mentioned buying money orders with stamps -- is that something the USPS allows? Otherwise your option isn't much of an option ;)

Scottrick likes this.
  21. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing yet - haven't tried.

22. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    U cannot buy stuff with stamps,or everyone would buy stamps at Costco at discount.