For the car rental experts

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by jakem4800, Nov 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I rented a car from Alamo in Washington state, I didn't get very far from the airport and caused a collision (at least I'm pretty sure it was my fault) so I have my own auto insurance but at the same time doesn't the rental car come with minimum liability insurance? Im sure MasterCard will pick up the damage to the car if my collision doesn't cover.. Let me know thx

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not. Unless you buy the extra insurance as offered at the rental counter pickups in the US don't generally include anything.

Hopefully the CC has some of the coverage you need.

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rental car company does have minimum liability but your own liability will be the primary carrier. You are responsible for the damage to both vehicles if at fault. If it was caused by a failure of the vehicle. (i.e. no brakes) then the Car Rental Company MAY be held liable. But that would be for the Courts to decide.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean liability coverage or collision coverage? In most states car rental companies need to have the absurdly low minimum liability coverage but that doesn't cover damage to the car. And most credit card insurance does not cover liability, just collision damage. On the other hand, your own auto insurance might cover you for liability even in a rental car.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    this is the idea that I had in mind, I hope the rental car liability comes into play so mine doesn't get used. And I do have collision and I know MasterCard will cover the car itself if mine doesn't

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't take it for granted that MasterCard will cover the damage.

I had used a MasterCard to pay for a rental that had some damage due to hail, and MasterCard balked at paying any reimbursement for damages, citing various clauses buried in the fine print of their free rental car insurance. To add insult to injury, this was a rental from the car dealership where my car was being repaired--- it had nothing to do with renting a car from a dealership. MasterCard doesn't care where you rent from, in terms of coverage validity in the U.S.

Hopefully you didn't rent a type of car that they don't cover--- that was MasterCard's first attempt with me to deny the claim; ultimately this wasn't the reason they denied my claim.

BTW: The type of MasterCard was a World Mastercard.

It is not a easy process when seeking MasterCard to cover your damage; I wish the best of luck to you with dealing with MasterCard.

Please let us know the outcome.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. odojoe

odojoe Active Member

Status Points:
    Most credit card insurance is only secondary to your own insurance for damage to the rental car only. The United card is one of the few that offer primary coverage, but again only for damage to the rental car.

8. alaskanriley

alaskanriley Active Member

Status Points:
    Oh you're in it! CC insurance is only after all other avenues have been exhausted. I went through this in Scotland when I thought State Farm insured overseas (Canada but nowhere else). Sixt rented me a car, I turned it back in fine - they notified me a week later with a 32KB grainy photo about the 800 pound "damage" I had caused when I was already back in the states. My CC covered but only after it was clear there was no one else. I contested the fake damage to no avail.
    I recommend UNOC - it's a insignificant rider on your main policy and when you tell the rental counter that they stop their rental insurance spiel and hand you the keys. i think I pay $12/year and the coverage is bombproof and 100%

daninstl likes this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would assume if your traveling on business that most corporate business auto policies would provide this coverage as well under the non-owned. I used to work for Zurich insurance and had this coverage plus at the time we underwrote many of the optional rental car insurance policies for Hertz, Enterprise, etc.

10. KateBennet

KateBennet Member

Status Points:
    That's a pity. I prefer to use Car Rentals Market App https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/car-rentals-market-app/id878633650?ls=1&mt=8 It's so convenient! You can see the closest places to your location where to hire a car, moreover, you are shown the prices of each one's. It should be really helpful. Especially in a new city.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  11. milerunner

milerunner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey folks, good news (well kinda) I had a claim with MasterCard and I refused to use my own comprehensive insurance. The claim took nearly 8 months to settle. Here's the downfall I let it go into collections during this period of time. When all was said and done MasterCard wrote a check to the collection company and they settled the claim for less than was owed and I didn't pay a penny out of pocket. So will this hurt my credit score? Probably but in the scheme of things I think it'll be a non issue.