For iGoogle users

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Steven Schwartz, Oct 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where to post this so moderators, feel free to move! Many of us have iGoogle as our home page. It is a very convenient place to show our information and provide links to our most important stuff. Over the last year, we have been told that they will close this down on November 1st but now there is a banner heading each time you turn on the computer. Seems lots of people are concerned and pissed - and cannot fathom why Google would do this.

I've spent some time trying to find a solution and while there are a number of sites, nothing is as good and can as easily replicate iGoogle as Yahoo's MyYahoo. It will even give you instructions on how to saw all your iGoogle settings, import them into MyYahoo and voila - it's pretty much all there. I was impressed and grateful. Again, hard to fathom what is on Google's mind here - once that is my home page, I'll be doing my searched on Yahoo - who cares how I find stuff.

So for those of you similarly concerned, I wanted to share that is a pretty easy solution.

iolaire likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I switched to igHome (http://www.ighome.com) a couple of months ago and have been very happy. It's the closest thing I've found to iGoogle and in fact I like a few elements of it even better.

anileze likes this.
  4. murphbc

murphbc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the alternatives. I'll have to try them out. First google reader and now igoogle. I wish I could count on my google products actually being supported

free101girl and KENNECTED like this.
  5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are free and if they are no longer used by the masses, why should Google continue to support those products financially or with research and development. I find google+ a worthy replacement for igoogle home page.

6. Strani

Strani New Member

Status Points:
    One more is http://www.startme.com - I've been using this one for a while now. It's not exactly like iGoogle as it's a more simplified type of start page. For now it's bookmarks and rss feeds although I believe they're adding widgets in a while.

EdwinGrimsley and free101girl like this.
  7. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer a blank page as my startup screen no matter my browser

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. DCAview
    Original Member

DCAview Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've just switched to Protopage. It has most of the same features that I liked about iGoogle, and is nicely customizable. The biggest drawbacks I've found are (1) because I'm now no longer keeping a Google page open on my browser, I'm not automatically logged into Google Talk (or Hangouts, or whatever it's called now), and (2) the Gmail widget doesn't update quite as quickly as the iGoogle widgets did.

9. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made my own start page with a search bar in the center. And a couple google gadgets I use often. That's all I need.

bez7 likes this.
  10. EdwinGrimsley

EdwinGrimsley New Member

Status Points:
    i also would like to prefer startme.com and agree with @Strani

11. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose it's bad form to not have MilePoint as my default ;-)

Mark likes this.