Football player kicked off flight for baggy pants

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Gargoyle, Jun 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Grieving New Mexico safety hauled off plane, booked for baggy pants

His baggy pants showed too much of his boxer shorts, and he refused to pull them up, so he was disobeying airline officials. Still, they were making something out of nothing- imho, ALL involved were in the wrong, there is no right side to the story. As explained in a good commentary at the end of the story:

2. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    He disobeyed instructions given to him three times. He pulled a DYKWIA by stating that "he said he didn't have to[pull up his pants] because he had purchased a ticket". He injured a police officer when resisting arrest.
    Sure, US made a big deal about something that shouldn't be newsworthy and I'm sure the young man probably felt very stick-it-to-the-man following the death of his friend(I mean he's probably not very mentally stable) but at the end of the day he could've just pulled up his pants and this wouldn't be on the news; emotional instability does not excuse misbehavior.
    I do agree that US made a big deal of a little matter(which probably would've not escalated to the point of bringing in SF's Finest if this was any other day in Mr. Marman's life) but I think what US did is a separate matter altogether.

hulagrrl210 and Gargoyle like this.
  3. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed ^^

I don't think everyone is in the wrong here, people need to learn to act decent in public, period. Besides, we don't know the whole story. How do we know he wasn't in an exit row? How do we know he wasn't outright rude to the FA that asked him to pull up his pants? You get on a plane, you follow the (sometimes stupid, sometimes not) rules just like the rest of us.

He should have just pulled them up, shut his mouth and enjoyed the flight. It certainly isn't worth wasting the time of police officers and other passengers but that could have easily been avoided. He was in a bad mental state? I think he's just like most 20 year old kids who think they should get their way all the time no matter what. (And I'm only 30 so don't even act like I'm some mean, crotchety old woman hating on kids. I just get sick and tired of rude people)

4. Bastholm
    Original Member

Bastholm Active Member

Status Points:
    It is amazing how often we get to hear stories about US (the country not especially the airline) based crews and police are busy pulling passengers out of the plane becausse of something minor like the look of the pants or the print on the t-shirt... I don't recall any stories like that from Europe or Australia. The only media stories about refused passengers we hear is when passengers are so drunk that they fight or try to open the emergency exit...

I wonder why there is this difference... Are there to many Pilots/FA's in the Us that want to decide how the passengers must dress, or are there to many police officers so that they can/will follow the weird ideas of the pilots??? Or are we just more liberal on dress-code in Europe?

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good point. Sometimes it seems that the United States is the bastion of individual freedoms, with the exception of those who belong to different socio-economic-cultural-aesthetic-religious sub-groups than does the person holding the floor.

6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would submit that said statement is a fallacy. For all the lip-service that people give to "freedoms" in the US, an actual study of the laws of the country and case law when Constitutional issues have been raised belie that statement. For example, look sometime at the legal arguments raised in the TSA's objections to lawsuits where they recite decision after decision that infringe on those freedoms.

That has given rise to the way the TSA acts in their visible infringements of what might be considered personal freedoms & rights.

N965VJ and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    note the sarcasm in my post. I agree with the rest of your statement.

Travel2Food and N965VJ like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or just more considerate in how you dress in public? ;-)

Or maybe you don't have the equivalent of the local evening news here that needs to be filled with sensationalistic garbage "news" stories like this or the recent "tractor hits parked UA 777 a SFO"?

FWIW, the story is stil in the "news" here. Apparently the NAACP is having a civil rights rally in support of this pax today in San Francisco.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/ca...art=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5989038