Food Trucks: Do you do them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by byroncheng, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    So here in Chicago we started getting food trucks around 6/2010, and since then there's been a rapidly increasing number appearing in the city. Unfortunately, Chicago laws don't allow them to actually *cook* in the truck.

I assume each city has their own quirks in food terms - I know Chicago is dessert trucks galore (I estimate about half are sweet things, and most are cupcakes). For me, I've had the best luck with Happy Bodega (baguette sandwiches) and Gaztrowagon (naanwiches)

What's your favorite truck in your city?

Gargoyle and Cholula like this.
  2. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a food truck in Philly at 39th and Market right outside Presbyterian that has a super breakfast sandwich.

3. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

NewGamePlus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Philly actually has a ton of great trucks, from Guapo's Tacos (run by Iron Chef Jose Garces) to the sweet gourmet hot dog truck up in NoLibs at 2nd and Brown.

4. I love street food, it hasn't killed me yet :p

5. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a bunch of food trucks in Cambridge, MA that have fantastic cheap food.

6. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We are just starting to get them in Fort Worth. My favorite right now is TacoHeads... amazing (and fairly cheap) soft tacos. Mmmmmmm!!!

piqaro likes this.
  7. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read a fantastic article... I think in the August 2010 edition of Men's Health (North American version) where the authors went all over the US sampling street food from across the nation. If you can get your hands on it, it's a really good read!

Chamonix likes this.
  8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have a bunch of those in LA now. The popularity has increased so much that the Health Department start visiting the truck to do inspection and assign them grades just like regular restaurants! I usually don't do food trunk because they usually are cash only, i.e. no miles for me :(

9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    They've got to be better than the trucks I ate at in the 80's and 90's. Some of them certainly deserved the name, "Roach Coach". Never seen any of the new gourmet ones. Street food I've eaten plenty of, but they do need to look clean. Any rats in the neighborhood, and I'll shy away. ;)

As a kid, had a friend whose dad ran one of the smaller ones, and after the food had reached it's sale by date, he'd give his kids some food.

Cholula and piqaro like this.
  10. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My favorite in the DC area is Rebel Heroes, which has awesome banh mi and does not come around to Crystal City nearly often enough. I hear good things about a place that does lobster rolls, but I am not willing to wait in line for an hour to eat from a truck.

Freddie Listo and piqaro like this.
  11. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    In China, they are not that clean but man they are tasty. Takes about a week for your stomach to get used to it. Cheap and greasy. Eggs over fried dough with spicy sauce is my personal favorite.

piqaro and byroncheng like this.
  12. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh man, if you are talking about street food in Asia and the like, it blows what we've got in the US out of the water! Delicious, and cheap! When I worked in Taiwan for a summer, went to the stands to buy dinner every day. Just went down the line, oh so good!

13. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    The food truck at the Port in Papeete, Tahiti. Sensation fast French food! Does it even still exist? I was there about 10 years ago!

Tiki and piqaro like this.
  14. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Wished many times I was persuasive enough to get recipes from them. [​IMG]

15. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually not bad. Do not eat anything with a long skinny tail!

16. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about eel! That's mostly tail, right? :D

piqaro likes this.
  17. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    You got me there!

piqaro likes this.
  18. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    you have to in New York! there are some pretty good ones also -- in particular the falafel/halal meat trucks in midtown.

In Toronto, the hot dog/sausage carts are pretty good with a good assortment of toppings - the dirty dogs in NYC, however, are exceptionally bad!

Tenmoc, travelingmore and piqaro like this.
  19. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm more of a food cart guy, halal food in NYC can be amazing. Love a good truck too though, generally taco trucks, but I have had some amazing pizza from a truck before, believe it or not.

Tenmoc and piqaro like this.
  20. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lots of food trucks here in So Cal, and they are definitely not the old "roach coaches." It's hard to believe the quality of food that some of them put out and they are always adding new things to the menu. The only problem is the lines...

travelingmore and piqaro like this.
  21. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found that a lot of them take credit cards, actually. At least the more popular ones.

JALPak likes this.
  22. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of these trucks can work real fast. There was this Vietnamese truck that always had a constant 30-50 people in line, but they were willing to wait because the guys in the truck filled an order every 5 seconds. Of course, the fact that the food was awesome didn't hurt at all. [​IMG]

piqaro likes this.
  23. I was impressed to see the Wafels and Dinges truck right around the corner from the Dessert Truck last night--I guess you can't underestimate dessert demand in the greater NYU/Astor Place area. I am a fan of the Dessert Truck, haven't tried the Wafels yet.

24. piqaro likes this.
  25. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. usually fresher than the restaurants - quick turnover