Food Review: Pizza Pot Pie- Chicago

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by MLW20, Nov 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    While putting together a list of places to visit for my (recent) trip to Chicago I remembered hearing about a restaurant that made a very interesting and unique kind of pizza.

I had seen the restaurant on TV a few years back but had a little problem- I had no clue what it's name was! However I did remember that they made an upside-down pizza.

Chicago is known for it's awesome deep dish pizza so I figured this place would be relatively easy to find since it was so different. While searching online I came up empty handed at first.
    I kept searching and finally found it! The Chicago Pizza and Over Grinder Co makes the upside- down pizza which is actually known as Pizza Pot Pie. I had seen it on the Food Network show The Best Thing I Ever Ate and one of the Travel Channel's Food Paradise episodes.
    [​IMG]
    We arrived at the Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. a little before opening time. We found a parking spot and walked to the restaurant; about 15 minutes later and a bunch of tables were already seated. It was relatively early for dinner but people seemed to be consistently showing up.
    [​IMG]
    It smelled great inside the restaurant and had an old and authentic feel. The restaurant opened in 1972 so it's definitely been around for a while. I also loved the decor, all wood- the bar, tables and booths and even wall paneling.
    [​IMG]
    If interested, check out the rest of my post HERE

sobore, uggboy and ConsultingChris like this.
  2. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been to the Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. a few times in the past 15 years. Not always the best, but it is fun to take people who have never been.

MLW20 and uggboy like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upside-down pizza! Never knew about this, thanks for the info!

MLW20 likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO, stay away, pizza is not worth the $ or time in a town like Chicago. Far better pizza to be had.

sobore likes this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly how I felt- worth the experience!

6. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has been a few years since I was last there. Do you think it has always been bad, or just gone downhill in the past few years? Maybe I have sentimental remembrances that colored my experiences there, but I didn't think it was that expensive or bad when I went about 5 years ago.

MLW20 likes this.
  7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not think it was expensive at $10.75, I did think it was pretty bad though! If you love pizza, I do think it's worth stopping in just to see what the pizza pot pie is all about. Based on the crowds (seemed pretty local) , I am guessing many do enjoy the pizza pot pie.

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a neighborhood place, easy to walk to, safe, pretty location, that draws certain diners for who those attributes rank higher than the actual quality of the food. That's my take anyways.
    never bad per se, just not worth it, when better pizza is to be had. To go out of one's way for this pizza is a waste of one's time in a great dining city like Chicago. If you happen to be in the nearby area & this is easy for you to get to, I could see stopping by (not that I will ever again, I've done the every 5 years or so dine at Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co and after each time, I question my sanity as to why I thought I might like it better than the last time I was there)