Food offerings onboard

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by RCyyz, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    So which meals offerings do you like / dislike on AC? What would you like to see?

For me in no particular order, stuff I like:

- Dim Sum snack on the Asian flights. I know some people don't like the dim sum but I find it a tasty snack.
    - Warm Cookies!!
    - Drappier isn't too bad.
    - Lately the beef offerings have been medium rare
    - cheese plates

Stuff I'm more ambivalent about:

- the breakfast omelette is OK but ...
    - most fish offerings
    - BoB in Y

Stuff I'd like to see:

- warm bread

2. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to see:
    - warm nuts
    - more fish options
    - a half way decent single malt scotch (say Caol Ila or Ardbeg)
    - an alternative to the cheese plates for rotation purposes
    - an AC special adult beverage. Likely it would be the caesar, but do something special with it (like fresh horseradish in it)

3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume this isn't offered on the NRT routes -- unless I have slept through that snack service every single time! :rolleyes:
    Caol Ila would be way too much for most people -- my colleague likened it to pouring scotch into an ashtray and then drinking it! :) It's much better with a splash of water, but still too radical considering that AC needs to have things many people want to drink. Macallan, Glenmorangie, Highland Park or something like that would be lovely, though.

4. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know that I'd agree with your colleague's assessment, but it would likely be too strong of a flavour for most. The 12 year old Macallan would do just fine by me. As long as there's something better than Johnny Walker (unless they change to Blue which is highly unlikely).

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ashtray comparison is a bit extreme, but it is very smoky. A few months ago my wife was complaining that my clothes were smelling of smoky bars, until she realized it was my Laphroaig. :)

Single malt would be very nice. I have no fear of flavour! :D

6. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    In J or in Y?

I'll be perfectly honest and say that in Y the smell of the cup-o-noodles always gets me to buy it myself...

noodles.jpg

7. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    wishing for a decent selection of wine....but understand the cost contraints and appreciate that AC has to contend with some pretty heavy drinking folk in J...at least on the flights i have been on.

8. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know many of you love the cookies but how about something a bit different like warm cinnamon buns :)
    They could be loaded on the plane, ready to pop into the ovens. Think of that wonderful smell wafting through the cabin. yummmm. ( poor folks riding in the back though ) There is something about the smell of cinnamon that is so pleasing. PLUS, cinnamon is very good for you.
    BX0119-1_Sticky-Buns_s4x3_med.jpg

Also on long flights have a snack bar set up in the galley. We use to have that, but I never see it anymore.
    It would be so nice to see a fruit and veg platter put out for a healthy snack.

9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cinnamon is very good. But most cinnamon buns (I'm looking at you, Cinnabon!) sold in North America seem to contain more sugar than dough these days. Too sweet for me! :(

10. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    First... that is not a pict of my cinnamon buns.
    Second, do you have any idea of how much sugar is in those AC cookies so many love ? I bet my cinnamon buns use a lot less sugar than those cookies. [​IMG]

The cinnamon buns were just a suggestion though and certainly not worth debating... [​IMG]

QSG likes this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, I don't eat the cookies, either: the taste enjoyment/calorie cost ratio is the wrong way around on those!

The cinnamon buns I do like have about 1 cup of sugar to 2 lbs of flour. That's still a fair bit of sugar, but justifiable! If we could get those on board, I'd be all over them! (Please serve the SEs first!) :)

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Care to share a picture of your buns? [​IMG] Cinnamon buns that is!! [​IMG][​IMG]

cockpitvisit likes this.
  13. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have a pict of my cinnamon buns. Will take a pict though, next time I bake them.
    Mine are very easy to make and I use brown sugar in them, not white sugar.
    It is a recipe that my grandmother used and was passed down to me... very old recipe and VERY yummy.
    I don't use raisins or nuts in mine either...

*** However, daughter loves cream-cheese icing on hers if she can talk me into that.
    I personally don't think they need the icing or extra calories.

RCyyz and tomh009 like this.
  14. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:

You've been sleeping through! But how long do you sleep for? On both my YYZ-NRT and NRT-YYZ legs, I swear the J pods have some sort of "sleep sensor". Barely a moment after I awaken, a FA is already beside me asking me what I want.

[​IMG]

btw, they do indeed serve dim sum (it doesn't taste that amazing though ...). I much rather eat the Croque Monsieur

[​IMG]

15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently I sleep too much! I've flown the route enough times in J, yet never seen the dim sum. I meant to pick up a croque monsieur on the last visit (memories of childhood!), will have to do it when I do the milk run again at the end of the month.

16. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Time to return to the good days of being a newbie ... what's a milk run .__.???

Although you miss the dim sum, I hope you do remember to go for the Kaiseki meals??

17. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I order the Kaiseki sometimes. It's nicely done, but not really my favourite Japanese food -- and I do love Japanese food. Still, given the confines and restrictions of the on-board "kitchen", I understand why AC chooses to offer Kaiseki as the Japanese meal option.

On the other hand, I love lamb as well, and that tends to survive the on-board preparation fairly well ...

18. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally dislike the turkey sandwich on my last flight: AC64 YVR-YYZ

19. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like a good recipe. Care to share it?

20. SVJ
    Original Member

SVJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please change the menus more often!

21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    No such thing! :)

22. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got stuck one day in ICN and spent most of a very long day eating hot spicy Korean pot noodles in the Asiana lounge. I think I actually became addicted to them. When i got back from that flight I went hunting at my local grocery stores, luckily I found them and still love them to this day. If you like hot and spicy noodles then these are a must.

Now eating them stuck for comfort in in a vibrating chair, now thats another story to tell later![​IMG]

chef4u likes this.
  23. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kinda remind me of never becoming a Haagen Dazs Ice Cream fan until I had them regularly as snacks with CX. [​IMG]

24. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they can bake cookies on board, they could certainly bake most frozen dough products.....they could even use those half bakes buns !

flying-gal likes this.
  25. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, free time on a plane does lean people to the drink. A good rotation of wine would be great. I am tired of the same old, same old.

One of my favourite food items is actually the ice cream. Its that sugar rush that puts me in a happy place.