Food and drink on budget airlines costs up to 12x more compared to supermarkets, study shows

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jul 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.terminalu.com/travel-new...e-compared-to-supermarkets-study-shows/12109/

We all know that airline food on budget airlines costs more than the supermarket equivalents, but a new survey suggests that it is more than most people might expect.

A UK study by travelsupermarket.com said a family of four can easily spend £45 for a sandwich, drink and crisps on an airline each way, following its comparison of supermarket, airport and onboard prices.

Europe’s biggest carrier Ryanair,was singled out in the research for charging more for many in-flight food and drink items than any other British or Irish airline. The airline charges £3 for a 500ml bottle of water – 12 times the price of an equivalent water, which is 25p a bottle when bought in a six pack at the supermarket.

The study found some of the highest onboard mark-ups among the budget carriers were on hot drinks, including tea and coffee. Ryanair charges £3 for a cup of tea – almost double the best available price at an airport, or about 20 times the cost of making it yourself using tea bags bought from a supermarket, costing about 15p each.

cordray2643 likes this.
  2. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the post.

It doesn't really bother me what they charge since I always have a choice whether to fly with them or pay a lot more and get a free sandwich, water, etc.

cordray2643 likes this.
  3. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We needed a study to tell us that a $3 cup of tea is more than if you bought a tea bag at the supermarket and made it yourself????

Ever buy popcorn or drinks at movie theater?

cordray2643 likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only if I cash in my 401K. :D

cordray2643 likes this.
  5. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Peanuts and/or pretzel on WN are free! And they are honey roasted again!

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

Yes, the food is more expensive than at a grocery. But the chances of the grocery flying at 500+ mph are pretty low.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I think the bigger issue is that while you're on the plane, you're basically part of a captive audience. You don't have a choice as to where you buy your drinks, especially considering that you're not allowed to buy them outside the airport (thanks TSA!).

And even in the terminal, past security, the markup is ridiculous.

sobore likes this.