Follow Feature Difficult to Use

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by ifly153, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The follow feature is a bit difficult to use. If I follow another member, then they see me online, but I cannot see them online unless they follow me.

For new people using this feature to add friends, it could be very confusing, since one friend sees the other online and doesn't know they have to reciprocate by following them.

It would be nice if there was an automatic feature that when you follow someone, a request pops up in the other person's screen asking if they want also want to follow the requester.

This way friends, could intuitively add each other to their follow list.

Gargoyle and Tinkerer like this.
  2. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be wrong but iirc, you can set your alerts to notify you when someone follows you.

hth

3. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But then the only way to follow, is you have to find a posting by the other person, click on their icon, and then follow.

I'm just suggesting it would be easier if there was an automatic way to request.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    When someone follows me I get an alert. I can then click on their handle to follow back.

5. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not fully understand the "follow" feature. What is the link between it and the "who's online"? And what if someone does not want to be followed? I believe at least you should be asked for when someone wants to follow you.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I just caught that, that does make it a bit easier.

Though I still think that new people using the feature, many of them might just look at the alert, ignore it, and just think everything is automatic since the other person is already added to their own list, and not realize they have to actively follow the other person.

Still suggesting for a more intuitive alert asking if they want to follow the other person.

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are privacy settings to hide your profile to only those whom you follow. If you don't want someone seeing your details then don't reciprocate the follow.

8. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

9. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I will pick someone to follow, just to see how it works. Maybe Dovster. ;)

Dovster likes this.
  10. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One more comment about the current system - when you "follow" someone, you are not actually following them. You are allowing the other person to "follow" you.

the_happiness_store and Gargoyle like this.
  11. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Posts by anyone you follow appear on your newsfeed.

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe this is correct. The follow feature on this board is much like the follow feature on Twitter. If you follow me, then you will get information on my activity. I'm not required to follow you and, other than the alert when you click to follow, I don't get any additional activity notifications.

I'm pretty active on some other boards that use this software.

13. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see, that makes sense about why its called "follow".

But I think most people are using the follow feature to see each other online and add them on their chat list.

I guess what I meant say is that when you follow someone, you are allowing them to see you online/offline on your friend's list. You can't see them online unless they follow you.

14. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    That will make just one more in the hundreds of MP women who are already following me. Try something different -- like already being in my hotel room when I show up.

15. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know, Dovster. Somehow I don't think that would enhance my primary goal of making it to 70 years of marital bliss with Hunki?

Besides, there is the UIG. Those Italian women are know to have pretty hot tempers. ;)

16. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe their idea was to tie in the linking of friends to the interest in each others posts which is a likely scenario. I guess you could debate whether this should be linked in one activity as opposed to being in two activities but I believe it's more elegant this way (i.e. removes clutter in additional activities) and achieves the likely intentions between friends.

ifly153 likes this.