Fog causes flights chaos at Dubai Airport

Discussion in 'Airports' started by uggboy, Oct 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Fog causes flights chaos at Dubai Airport ||

Glad they handled it well and the systems are restored by now.:)

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    All the more reason to be flying in F ;)

uggboy and Gaucho like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the dumb question.... but, why is fog still an issue at airports.... what ever happened with the ILS systems...? Or was this an issue because some of the airports ILS gear was not operative...??

uggboy likes this.
  4. tornadoflyer

tornadoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    To land in fog the ILS has to be to a very high standard with back up in place and specific lighting....loss of some of these features renders it unusable down to the lowest visibility of say 100m. The system would be declared Cat 2
    perhaps which requires a higher visibility .....
    Perhaps 300 m..... In the event that the viz was
    lower guys would not be able to land legally......
    Hence the diversions.......hope that explains
    the problem.

uggboy likes this.
  5. tornadoflyer

tornadoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Practiced today in 75 metres.........not sure it'd be much fun for real though........

6. IanP

IanP Active Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I would say they "handled it well", the whole thing was a disaster.

Flying from Rome on Emirates, we diverted to Fujairah where we had 5 hours on the ground. Eventually arrived in Dubai and of course the connection to Muscat had long gone.

Now I understand that the original delay could not be helped, fog together with an electrical failure is just bad luck, however the utter debacle that ensued while trying to get a transfer organised was nothing short of disgraceful and Dubai Airports Corp should be ashamed. 9 hours queuing with no water or food, elderly passengers passing out through exhaustion and dehydration. Fights breaking out between passengers patiently queuing and the queue jumpers.

Repeated requests were made to staff to get security to manage the queue with no result. The only time security appeared was when a passenger collapsed and another passenger took a photo, suddenly 3 men arrived and demanded that the smart phone be handed over and footage deleted or the passenger be taken away and charged with some offence or other. They then retreated back to their office to continue watching everything on CCTV and left the passengers to it. The transfer desk staff had no clue what they were doing and airport management was nowhere to be seen.

I cancelled my onward journey with Emirates and booked a new ticket from Muscat with Thai to Australia rather than go back through Dubai, which hopefully I never have to do again.