Fodor's- 10 Best Summer Food Festivals

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by MLW20, Jul 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Fodor's has a fun slideshow- 10 Best Summer Food Festivals.
    Kim and I love attending different festivals and events and have been to two from this list.
    When we visited Chicago a few years back, we happened to be in town while the Taste of Chicago was going on. After doing a Segway tour we headed over to the Taste and had a great time and tried some awesome food. I'd definitely recommend stopping by if you're around while the event is going on.

Smorgasburg is a fun food event with lots of great vendors. Being that it takes places in Brooklyn (where we live) we attend the event every couple of weeks. It takes place on Saturdays in Williamsburg and Sundays in DUMBO. There are lots of great choices of things to eat. I'd recomend doughnuts from Dough, pizza from Pizza Moto and an ice cold slush from Kelvin Slush.

Here is the full Food Festivals list:
    1. Smorgasburg- Brooklyn, NY
    2. National Cherry Festival- Traverse City, MI
    3. Taste of Chicago- Grant Park- Chicago, IL
    4. Vermont Cheesemakers Festival- Shelburne, VT
    5. Copper River Wild Salmon Festival- Cordovva, AK
    6. Gilroy Garlic Festival- Gilroy, CA
    7. Maine Lobster Festival- Rockland, ME
    8. Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival- Cary, NC
    9. Truckeroo Food Truck Festival- Washington, D.C.
    10. Austin Ice Cream Festival- Austin, TX
    Have you been to any of the food festivals from this list? If so let us know what you thought about it in the comments below. (You can also leave your comment on my blog here.)

Find out more about each of these food festivals on Fodors.com HERE

Sweet Willie, uggboy and sobore like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    quote="MLW20, post: 2015860, member: 1249]Taste of Chicago- Grant Park- Chicago, IL
    [/quote]used to be sooooooo much better. First it actually was a taste of the food (think smaller than tapas portion). Second, the restaurants were serving items they were known for, who actually is know for serving a turkey leg? (I understand that the turkey leg was actually not present this year). Third, ridiculous restaurants like McDonald's were not part of the scene.

Thankfully there were some worthwhile newcomers this year: Bombay Spice Grill & Wine, the French Market favorite Flip Crepes, Hu's Lao Ma La Chinese and Wishbone Restaurant to mention some.

I did not go as I'd rather spend money to see what the restaurants I'm really in have to offer rather than what they serve at Taste.
    Sadly I've just missed this a number of times
    another one I've wanted to make.

Besides these larger shows there are so many ethnic festivals here in Chicago (& I'm sure elsewhere), most have some "real-deal" ethnic food to try.

MLW20 likes this.
  3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    used to be sooooooo much better. First it actually was a taste of the food (think smaller than tapas portion). Second, the restaurants were serving items they were known for, who actually is know for serving a turkey leg? (I understand that the turkey leg was actually not present this year). Third, ridiculous restaurants like McDonald's were not part of the scene.

Thankfully there were some worthwhile newcomers this year: Bombay Spice Grill & Wine, the French Market favorite Flip Crepes, Hu's Lao Ma La Chinese and Wishbone Restaurant to mention some.

I did not go as I'd rather spend money to see what the restaurants I'm really in have to offer rather than what they serve at Taste.Sadly I've just missed this a number of times
    another one I've wanted to make.

Besides these larger shows there are so many ethnic festivals here in Chicago (& I'm sure elsewhere), most have some "real-deal" ethnic food to try.[/quote]
    I got to go to the Taste of Chicago about 4 or 5 years back. I am guessing it was still good and not welcoming McDonald's there! From what I recall there was also a massive cake (I think a cheesecake) cut and given out for free by the fountain in Grant Park. Hanging out nearby were the Budweiser Clydesdales!

There are some really great vendors at the weekly food events in NYC. You should try to get to Smorgasburg some time. Another, smaller favorite of mine is the Prospect Park Food Truck Rally in Brooklyn.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Active Member

Status Points:
    You missed Apple Scrapple in Bridgeville, De !

5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That one surprises me. I guess because the people I knew who lobstered / lived in the midcoast looked on it as Tourist Tripe. Though I guess it did also once bring up some quality "Food" vs "Famous Person" issues a few years back.

Had to go look it up. It was Mary Tyler Moore. : http://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/31/us/new-animal-rights-cause-urges-free-the-lobsters.html

On a not related not, If you want some lobster, Go to a random rundown ocean side restaurant with pickup trucks in the driveway, anywhere north of portland (Except Rockland or Camden, to much money there).

Also, if you want 3 pounds of lobster, buy 2 1.5 lb lobsters. Its more work, but it will be less overall cost and the meat will be much more tender.

Oh, and if you're paying more then $4.50/lb you're paying to much

anileze likes this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

Boothbay harbour is my favorite - Lot's of Lobster shacks.

7. RachaelMurphy

RachaelMurphy New Member

Status Points:
    Wow great!

I am a foodie and love to eat different verities of food would definitely visit it and share my view on it.