flying without status

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by ctporter, Apr 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a trip coming up in the lower portion of Colorado next week and to get there in the time frame I need I have to fly on United/Continental which means..Yikes! No status for me, and since I do not want to sit with my knees hitting my chin I have to pay for economy plus seating (instead of selecting row 6 or exit rows), and if I check a bag I have to pay fees as well, not sure about early boarding as I have not done this before (I did get economy plus for a hefty fee!) These are all things (except the Economy plus seat) I am used to not having to worry about by having status on AS. This feels like I am starting out all over again trying to gain status :(

2. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Status match? ;)

3. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to sign up for Aegean's program and the quick Star Silver? Only half serious with this advice.

4. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Half of surviving a UA trip is mental. When I get stuck on them. I meditate, take lots of deep breaths and say "this is a very short flight" as a mantra. A book and some relaxing music usually help, too.

this trick can also be used when you get stuck in a middle seat on a red-eye.

ctporter and RedM3Pilot like this.
  5. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the key. For the most part, the reality of these things are fortunately, rarely as bad as what we imagine them to be. If anything, it'll make you appreciate your AS status that much more.

Red-eye usually means transcon. And transcon usually means more time to plan...the real trick is making sure you don't get stuck in that middle seat.;)

6. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA isn't bad if you're a 1K or GS ;)

But seriously, if you were non-elite on AS, it's not like you could even pay extra for a bulkhead/exit row seat. AS doesn't have economy plus, and you'd have to pay for bags as a non-elite on AS as well.

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the pleasure of flying AA JFK/BCN in coach as a non-elite. I sure missed E+ on UA. To add insult to injury, the flight was delayed out of JFK for 3 hours on a redeye.

8. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long is your flight?

I probably hate coach as much as anybody, but sometimes on a short flight you just have to suck it up and soldier through.

Do you want some drink tickets? I'll be happy to send you some.

ctporter likes this.
  9. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always a good move. Especially to CO since they are going away ;). At least for this year i'm only a nobody on AA.

10. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the outbound trip on Wed, I have just over 2.5 hrs (SEA DEN) plus a CRJ that is only 40 min; on the return trip I have a 2 hr 47min (COS SFO) plus 2 hr 7 min (SFO SEA). Oh well, tomorrow I am going to DFW, both ways on that flight I will be in FC :)

Rlpro likes this.
  11. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Send me your address and I will send you some free drink tickets if you would like them.

ctporter and Rlpro like this.
  12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly without status (in the main cabin) once or twice a year. If I am on a no-status carrier, I usually fly in a premium cabin on a discounted fare, but sometimes, that just cannot happen. When that happens, I try and sit somewhere that I'll be able to get my carry-on to fit, which usually means sitting further back. Really, millions and millions of people fly without status every year, and only a few die, and a few more have a medical emergency. Some of them are actually excited to fly altogether, even in a cramped seat (have you seen those 3/4/3 777s :eek: ) - they live, too.

The worst is when there are irrops. Then you are just screwed. Sorry, but you are. So pray to the irrop gods to keep away from your itinerary. Otherwise, you'll get where you're going, it won't kill you, it won't be the most uncomfortable experience of your life, the sun will set, the sun will rise, and you'll have a few UA miles in your UA account.

Exiled in Express, ctporter and Rlpro like this.
  13. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done a few segments on UA this year in Y+ and two of them were transcon flights [SFO-IAD -- should have never booked that one-- and BOS-LAX]... E+ is decent and the seat in front of you will never come close to you :D

All in all, you will be fine and it is not that bad...

I am glad the merged carrier has decided to keep E+ going forward and I can't wait for my 1K status to go through in mid-April :D

Rlpro likes this.
  14. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you keeping Gold on AS?

15. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep... Gold for sure, but I am not sure if I should go for 75K or not... Since I only fly about 20K miles a year on AS and I don't really see any major benefit of being a 75K over a Gold... Unless AS strikes an agreement with DL to upgrade 75Ks between DL PM and GM on DL metal :p

It is nice being able to fly on the airline where you have status with 80% of the time....

AS's key draws for me are the redemption opportunities, $99 companion cert, and LAX-DCA... If AS ends LAX-DCA, then I am gone for good...

16. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    But the point is that the OP has NO status, and therefore will not be granted the privilege of being seated with extra leg room while being ignored by the cabin crew.

17. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP already paid for E+... CO/UA does nothing for elites when we re in Y unlike AS...

18. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    she said "I have to pay for E+" not that she did pay. I'm assuming, that like others, she's not going to just hand more money over to them, and so has not.

19. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assumed she did pay for E+ and a smart decision, E- is awful :eek:

20. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh man you bet I paid! And gladly too, my knees cannot take 3 hrs jammed up against the seat in front of me. Actually, I chose United over other options (where I am non-status) just to be able to get the E+. Sad part is that it is out of my own pocket, company pays for E- (thinking that the accounting folks are short - LOL) not for the extra room.

I remember how thrilling it was to be able to select the premium seating on AS (even on Delta when I had Delta status). At least with UA I have the option to pay more than coach but certainly less than FC

jackal likes this.
  21. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I think the "premium economy-esque" on Frontier is cheaper than on Untied....but then again, they may not have gone all the way to your final destination.

22. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. I will have to seek out Frontier, they normally do not show up in the company travel site, but if the offer that option and are cheaper that works for me!