Flying with Wedding Dress?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kkitchener, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hello- I'm new here but have been looking for help with this question in other realms for a while now. I am flying to my wedding destination and need some first-hand info or advice regarding flying with my dress! I know it can't be that uncommon...no info on TSA site or UA site and upon emailing UA the reply was less than helpful (they kept calling it my wedding ADDRESS) :( Sigh.

I want to know what to expect at security for example...the dress is in a garment sleeve/bag but it's quite long and poofy especially at the end. Do I really shove it through on that conveyor belt? I'm not even sure it will fit!? I am flying direct non-stop luckily - on an Airbus 319 (UA). I am an elite member and therefore do have the potential for the complimentary first-class upgrade (they may have closet space available to hang my dress).Do you think even if I don't get the upgrade I'd be able to ask them to store the dress in the first class closet space? Is there even closet space on the Airbus 319 in 1st class cabin?

Anyway- any first hand info or advice would be great. I'm really nervous about it and not sure what others have done or had luck with. I appreciate it!

2. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello and welcome to MilePoint! And, congrats on your upcoming wedding :)

It would help to know the airports you are traveling through for specific advice, since TSA's flexibility/pickiness does vary.

In terms of the airplane, it's never guaranteed (as you probably know) but I've seen FAs be very kind to brides (or bride's family and friends who are carrying the dress for her) in terms of finding closet space. Being elite, you have the advantage of early boarding so that should help ensure more overhead and closet space is still available. Seatguru indicates UA's A319's do have closet space.

That all being said, I'd try to pre-arrange for steaming/iron capabilities at your destination (many wedding sites have them available for brides and if not, check out a nearby bridal salon as they can be very helpful). Check where you bought the dress re what works best (some material can only be steamed/ironed and it's best to know upfront).

Congrats again!

Mikel, kkitchener and Gargoyle like this.
  3. AndreaRH
    Original Member

AndreaRH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! My husband and I celebrated a destination wedding too. My dress wasn't all that poufy but it was long. It went through the conveyor belt in its garment bag with no problem. (TSA did not unzip the bag.)

We flew coach but were able to hang my dress in the first class closet. Most stewards and stewardesses are very helpful when it comes to transporting a wedding dress. There's no guarantee that there'll be space in the closet though so to be safe you should find someone at your destination who could steam your dress in case it gets a bit crushed.

4. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP and congratulations!

When sending the gown through the conveyor belt, be sure to have extra layers of tissue wrapped around the dress in the unlikely event it would get caught on something and tear the bag. Also, if TSA wants to unzip and check the dress ask them to put on a pair of clean gloves - not from their pocket but a new pair from the box.

I don't think you will have any problem asking the FC FAs to store it in the closet.

Have an amazing wedding and an even better honeymoon.

5. I would check to see if there is a service you can ship your dress to in advance. Certain places, such as Vegas, have businesses where you can ship the dress in advance to them, they steam them and deliver them to your hotel in time for the wedding.

Mikel and kkitchener like this.
  6. Thank you for the reply! Very reassuring- yes, the early boarding does help and I fly from SLC which is not a major elite center (like SFO for example!) but I am headed to IAD which is pretty elite-heavy. We'll see. I've found security at SLC to be very nice, patient, and courteous. Haven't had the same experience at IAD unfortunately- though they both do have the elite security lines (for what that's worth...).

I will plan for a steaming upon arrival. It's good to hear such positive accounts of FA's accommodating brides with dresses. The UA email I received wasn't so reassuring in that regard. They pretty much told me to make sure my wedding ADDRESS meets all carry on measurements :p

Thanks again! Good to be a member!

ank you

Tinkerer and misman like this.
  7. Good thought about wrapping it in something additional...I will do that!

misman likes this.
  8. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Yes, you will have to put your dress through the conveyer belt, however, it will remain in the garment bag so should not be damaged. My suggestion is that you call ahead to alert United to this garment situation, and also let them know you are flying to your destination wedding. Congratulations and enjoy the day.

Mikel, kkitchener and misman like this.
  9. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Luckily you are flying from SLC then ;) On your way back a few wrinkles won't matter as much (if you're even carrying the dress with you ... consider shipping it straight to a preservation place that then ships it back to you).

Come back after your honeymoon and tell us how it went so that there's more experiences for future brides - next time it will be SLC specific!

Congratulations again - hope you have a wonderful wedding :)

10. Thank you all so much! Milepoint is such a grand discovery! I will definitely post detailed info when I return to help future brides.

Tinkerer likes this.