Flying With Fish - Physics Revisited : Can A Passenger Open An Airplane Door In Flight?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, May 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Given the news that an Alaska Airlines passenger was arrested yesterday at Portland International Airport after attempting to open an emergency exit door on-board Alaska Airlines flight 132, from Anchorage, this seems like a good time to revisit the issue of aircraft doors being opened in-flight....
    ©Flying With Fish, a BoardingArea Blog

Continue reading...
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

I posted a comment/question in the above Flying With Fish blog but it was never approved by the moderator. But now I'm really curious -- here's my unpublished comment, does someone know the answer to this, please?

I don’t understand. An airplane cabin is pressurized to about 7 or 8000 feet equivalent pressure. Or OK, maybe 6000 for the Dreamliner. In other words, the pressure inside the cabin is equivalent to the air pressure at about 7000 feet above sea level. So, when the aircraft is above 7000 feet, the pressure is higher in the cabin than it is outside.
    But below 7000 feet? Isn’t the pressure equivalent to whatever it is outside? Or is positive pressure maintained all the way to landing, actually increasing the pressure in the cabin to beyond the external pressure even when at sea level, until on the ground and “de-pressurized”?