Flying While Half-Arab (and Half-Jewish). This One Is Shocking.

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Sep 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/national...-and-half-jewish-this-one-is-shocking/244984/

You may have seen the matter-of-fact reports yesterday about extra security sensitivity on the airlines, because of the tenth anniversary of 9/11. For instance, this is the entirety of a NYT description of one false-alarm scare:
    >>Nearly the same circumstance [as in another case] -- multiple passengers holed up in the bathroom -- led to F-16s shadowing Frontier Airlines Flight 623 from Denver as it neared Detroit. No danger was found and no charges were filed, said Scott Wintner, a Detroit Metropolitan Airport spokesman.<<​
    And here is a further AP report, with the headline "No charges against 3 detained at Detroit airport."

Now, read this account from one of those three who escaped with the apparent good fortune of not being charged. Her name is Shoshana Hebshi, and she is an American citizen with a Saudi father and a Jewish mother. She is married and is herself a mother, and she lives in the Midwest. That's her picture, at right, from a column she did about her love of bicycles, two years ago while a graduate student in journalism at Iowa State.

To skip ahead to the punch line, on this flight she was sitting by chance in a row with two Indian-looking passengers, neither of whom knew the other or knew her. But collectively they aroused the suspicion of other passengers or crew, and when the plane landed, heavily armed troops stormed aboard, handcuffed the three of them, and took them off for extensive questioning. After which they were eventually released with "no charges filed." Which is fair enough, considering that like everyone else on the plane they were simply trying to travel from Denver to Detroit and had done absolutely nothing wrong except to have "suspicious" looks.

Read More: http://www.theatlantic.com/national...-and-half-jewish-this-one-is-shocking/244984/

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paranoia..... :eek:

Gaucho likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read her account yesterday.

Not one of our prouder moments.

4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

She should tell the editorial board at the Washington Post about how wrong they are. This is from an editorial this weekend (entitled "The Gains outweigh the Mistakes"):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...the-mistakes/2011/09/09/gIQAxWivFK_story.html

5. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore likes this.
  7. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read her account of the incident early today and it really shocked me. Must have been a scary experience.

8. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read about this in a huff post article, and really wanted to post a comment to some bozo who said he thought the response was totally appropriate (handcuffs and all) of the simplest nature .... WHAT IF IT WAS YOU?

Too many people think it's fine because it isn't them due to the situation, color of their skin, actions or whatever, but there are so many lessons in history that are just being forgotten. Definitely not a finer moment :(

9. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The whole time I was reading the article that's what I was thinking, "What if that was me?" I don't know what I would do if I was in that situation. It would certainly be very scary.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having just recently watched this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

I'd probably (a) be really pissed off and (b) say nothing.

(2nd part of that talk with cop's response is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE)

sobore likes this.
  11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    One day I hope this nation will look back in aghast at events like this. My fear is that those who want an abundance of caution will win out and complain that it was not enough :mad:.

12. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would guess that the US continuing in its ways will become more restrictive, with less freedoms, and just like in Egypt, Lybia and other countries, citizens will rise up who cherrish their freedoms etc and we will see in the USA what we are seeing in countries I mentioned above. It will take time, and many will endure sufferings, but in the end hopefully freedom and the rights of citizens will win out.

13. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fairly outrageous behaviour on the part of the authorities and their collaborators among the crew and passengers.

IMGone likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if this could go to court and if compensation will be ordered....?

15. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Incidentally, it's been 9 days now and we have not heard a peep from the two gentlemen who were also removed and mistreated by the porcine authorities involved in this incident. I do wish they would come forward and tell their story too, but would totally understand if they just want to forget about their ordeal altogether.