Flying transatlantic with 10lb. frozen shrimps - Any tips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by LoungeLover, Mar 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LoungeLover

LoungeLover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking on bringing some frozen shrimps from the US to Istanbul and then Tel Aviv. The entire trip will be 16 hours including stops, so I'm taking 20 hours as a safety net. I've thought about carrying it in a cooler with dry ice, but I've understand there is a limit on it. Any tips on the best way to do this?

GoodBoy likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check with that airline(s) you will be flying on for their rules regarding dry ice. Most require vented coolers and limit the total amount on the plane, if they allow it at all. Otherwise, I'd say that you're traveling for long enough en route that there aren't a lot of good other options available.

3. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lots of kosher shrimp available in Tel Aviv :confused:

LoungeLover and Mapsmith like this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem, you just go through the separate treyf line at customs.

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kinda makes me wonder if you can bring Shrimp into Israel without a specific permit.

Seriously. I have had a few relatives take long flights with perishables. (usually medications) and one thing that seems to work well is to pack it into frozen green peas. You might also find that dry ice might 'burn' the shrimp and the CO2 might affect the taste.

It also depends on the size and quantity of the shrimp. 4 or 5 pounds or even 4 or 5 kilos might work well in a small "six pack cooler" Fresh ice at any transit point. (go to a bar and offer to purchase enough ice to replace the melted ice. (Also throw out all the old ice. Fresh Ice will make the cooler "cooler".)

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before going farther with this plan, check whether one is allowed to bring shrimp (or seafood in general) into Israel.

8. LoungeLover

Status Points:
    No problem in bringing frozen seafood to Israel even if it's not kosher ;) The only rule is it shouldn't be alive.
    I think that maybe I "wrap" them in frozen peas in order to protect them from the dry ice if I'll use it. But will check the option of using regular ice. It's hard for me to believe that regular ice will hold for the duration of the flight until the first stop.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If in a good cooler and if they start well frozen regular ice should keep for a decent amount of time. It depends a lot on the cooler, honestly.

10. Don't let them thaw out..... Simple :D

11. SM105

SM105 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 20+ years of experience flying a frozen turkey from various parts of the world to India annually for Xmas (long story). As a result, I have developed quite an expertise in the art of transporting frozen foodstuffs over long distances in checked baggage (must add this onto my CV somewhere). :D

You have two main objectives here. One is to insulate and the other is to continue providing a chilling source within the insulation. Regarding the insulation, assuming you don't have a soft sided insulated bag, the best insulation can be found by using two heavy-duty plastic garbage bags, with a layer of crumpled newspaper between them. The chilling source, as suggested above, can be bags of frozen vegetables or alternatively the plastic ice packs you can buy at most supermarkets. I have it easy with the turkey because it is frozen solid and doesn't thaw easily - you might have more challenges with the shrimp though. I've never had the turkey thaw on me despite travel times ~20 hours on average.

Stay away from dry ice in checked baggage though - if you have to use dry-ice, speak to the airline at check-in and see if they can have catering deliver some to you in the cabin and take the shrimp as carry-on in that case.

Good luck!

12. LoungeLover

Status Points:
    @SM105 this are very useful advice! and I don't ask about the turkey....:)

Do you think I've got a chance of getting to cabin through security? And have you tried getting it to cabin, because if the crew is isn't in "helpful" mood, then I would only use the checked baggage technique as you've mentioned. I've also ordered insulated cooler for this.

Thx for the tips! Will update!

13. SM105

SM105 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I've carried this through security at various airports, but not for a number of years. I found that actually having to carry a large turkey through the airport is quite uncomfortable, so I prefer to check it in. :D

bez7 and LoungeLover like this.
  14. LoungeLover

Status Points:
    Just an update after the trip:
    Everything went perfectly. Bought a regular cooler with some blue packs they arrived frozen almost at the same temperature they started the trip with. The shrimps and crab cakes came 100% fine. No problems at customs or check-in.
    Thanks for all the tips!

SM105 likes this.
  15. SM105

SM105 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad it worked out! :)

Flyer1976 likes this.