Flying to India - United Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by bigneal009, Mar 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. bigneal009

bigneal009 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello All, I spend about $300k on my credit card for my business purchase. For the past year I've been using the United Club card because it's 1.5 miles per $1 spent, which is great. But recently United announced the up charge in the Award miles. First it took me 80,000 miles to go one-way in first-class in Lufthansa/Turkish or other partnering airlines for "Saver-Award" but now the same ticket costs me 140,000 miles. This devalued my points tremendously. What are other recommendations on different credit cards? I've looked at the American Airlines but their contract with British charges upwards of $700 in taxes. I've also looked at Alaska Air (Great Program) but the credit card only offers 1 mile per $1 spent. Any other suggestions?

satman40 likes this.
  2. thesatishk

thesatishk Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could use the SPG card to earn 1.25x with Alaska including the transfer bonus. In my opinion, redeeming for Emirates using Alaska miles is great option for many Indian cities.

aptraveler, satman40 and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. chawladth

chawladth New Member

Status Points:
    my i help you.

satman40 likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the United Mileage devaluation sucks they do still offer reasonable rates if flying on United metal to India.

satman40 likes this.
  5. bigneal009

bigneal009 New Member

Status Points:
    @thesatish I agree with the SPG Card but it only gives 1.25 points. Also on Alaska Air they do not have many flight options the only one I see is British for december 2014 and that's still 80k points + $560 in fees.

6. yessiralph001

yessiralph001 New Member

Status Points:
    i think this fees is too high in cost.
    isn't it??
    XEADO

7. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most/All airlines have been tightening the screws on their award charts. For India, I see three options, 1. Use United miles and fly United for fewer miles, 2. Use United miles for partner airlines and spend considerably more miles, 3. Use AA/BA/Alaska miles and pay the fuel surcharges on BA metal, or look for West Coast departures through the far east for South Asian destinations, with no fuel surcharges. Personally, I don't mind paying fuel surcharges for BA FC award travel, but others may think of it as 'too much money'. With the number of award miles used being comparably the same, it all comes down to convenience/luxury, customer service and routing. Good luck with your options.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    gregm likes this.
  8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used think like you and pay no mind to those surcharges, but as I personally became more proficient in award ticket redemption, I tend to shy away from those that seem to be 'too much money'. I've seen the taxes and fees vary as much as $400 on a single award ticket and I'd definitely try to keep that in my pocket.

9. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    What sort of things are you buying? Most cards have bonus categories, so the kind of spending can make a big difference. If it's travel spending, Chase Sapphire Preferred has some charms. If it's just airline tickets, Amex PRG has charms. And if it's office supplies or telecom services, the Chase Ink cards are interesting.

Lastly, I always recommend that people consider a simple cash back card. If you enjoy playing the mile and points game, you can clearly get great value from it, but many people are better served by simply taking the cash. How would you like to have $6000 per year in untaxed cash?

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    satman40 likes this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:

Hello All, I spend about $300k on my credit card for my business purchase.
    How would you like to have $6000 per year in untaxed cash?

I love the INK and the 5X for business...300k gets me 1.5 Million, with my Lowe's LAR payments.

$6,000 un taxed, I hope no IRS Special Agent has his ears on...10-4