Flying to Europe - Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by flyingamericanairlines, May 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. flyingamericanairlines

flyingamericanairlines New Member

Status Points:
    Friends,

I will be flying to Europe with my family of 5 with American Airlines and wanted to reach out you and ask your assistance. I am trying to reduce the $9K cost of the trip; any tips, advice, coupons, credit cards, vouchers I can purchase from you, etc.. I can use, and anyhing else you can advice I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you for giving back......

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint! :)
    Are your travel dates flexible? When were you planning on going?
    There may be some options on finding a better airfare based on this information.
    In addition, are you only willing to fly AA?

3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    As sobore said - we need some more information to help you. When? where to? why only AA? class of service? flexibility? where you have miles/points now? which credit cards you already have? etc

4. flyingamericanairlines

Status Points:
    Thank you for your reply friends.

We are flying to LCA from DFW - Flexible on the departure - looking for departing in July (1st through 10th) and returning in August (10th through 14th).

American Airlines seemed to have the best airfare but I am open to any other alternatives.

I don't currently have any points to use toward the flight and the Credit Cards that I have don't provide any incentives to travel.

5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I would start with the 2 browser trick and get 2 AA cards for you and your wife (if you can meet the spend quickly). That would start you off with 200,000 miles enough for 3 RT tickets in coach.

kadence likes this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's going to be hard (probably impossible) to produce miles or points for any free tickets this close to your departure. Especially with a family of five, you'd have to start collecting points a couple of years in advance to make that happen.

I haven't checked out the fares but if any low cost carriers service LCA your best bet to keep the cost down is probably to find fares in the $1100 range to Spain and then separately book LCC flights from there to LCA. Hopefully that will shave at least a couple of thousand dollars off the total.

7. flyingamericanairlines

Status Points:
    Michael, please advice on how to do the 2 browser trick (I am not familiar with it). Thanks for your help!

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    This appears to be the best fare for the time period:

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Larnaca (LCA) - Thu, Jul 5
    [​IMG] Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Chicago (ORD) - Thu, Jul 5
    American 2320 Dep: 5:45AM Arr: 8:00AM 2h 15m MD-80 Economy (N)
    Layover in ORD 1h 10m

[​IMG] Chicago (ORD) to London (LHR) - Thu, Jul 5
    American 90 Dep: 9:10AM Arr: 10:45PM 7h 35m Boeing 767 Economy (N)
    Layover in LHR 9h 35m

[​IMG] London (LHR) to Larnaca (LCA) - Fri, Jul 6
    American 6394 Dep: 8:20AM Arr: 2:50PM 4h 30m Boeing 767 Economy (S)
    OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS

Larnaca (LCA) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Sun, Aug 5
    [​IMG] Larnaca (LCA) to London (LHR) - Sun, Aug 5
    American 6395 Dep: 4:40PM Arr: 7:40PM 5h 0m Boeing 767 Economy (N)
    OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS Layover in LHR 13h 50m

[​IMG] London (LHR) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Mon, Aug 6
    American 51 Dep: 9:30AM Arr: 1:20PM 9h 50m Boeing 777 Economy (N)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $1,797.90
    Total cost for 1 passenger $1,797.90

9. flyingamericanairlines

Status Points:
    Thank you Sobore; now I have to find out the correct combination of coupon codes and vouchers to use to bring the total price of $9K down.

10. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Currently KLM has a $955 fare DFW-LHR and Easyjet can get you to Cypress for another $360. So if you are willing to spend a little time in London like a day or two on each end of your trip, then you can bring down the airfare to about $7k.

11. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's pretty unlikely that you'll be able to get this done in time for this summer, and you should check availability of awards at the low level first.

But it's never too early to think ahead for next summer!

akcae likes this.
  13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, flyingamericanairlines!

As your departure timeframe is during the Olympics, tickets are going to be higher priced.

Average I've seen between the US and London this summer is $1500.

:)

14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just checked, and there don't appear to be any LCCs operating Spain to LCA. Try other cheaper destinations in Europe, and then look for low cost connections from the gateway.

15. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you know FF seat availabilty in the summer is very difficult on short notice. Typically I go business and coach FF seats are very limited especially for a group of 5.

16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    forget summer, go in the shoulder or off season (more the latter). Seriously, you'll save a bunch of $$ and the sites, hotels, restaurants won't be packed.

Also, I don't believe you've answered questions such as Why only AA?

17. flyingamericanairlines

Status Points:
    Thanks for your feedback Willie. I chose AA because of the lowest fare; all the other were over $2k per ticket.

18. zippypam

zippypam Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I had more time.....but you can look at a departure on AA from DFW on 7/9 to ATH (athens) via MAD (madrid). The connecting flight is on Iberia. You then can fly to LCA on Olympic or Cyprus or Aegean. You can fly from ATH to LCA for about $250. The fare is cheap, the taxes are 75% of it. You won't save much unless you work with all the airlines sites, www.itasoftware.com and really scour all options. The DFW - ATH flight is $1392. There are wonderful ferries that leave Pireaus, the port of Athens, and one must go as far as Cyprus you would think. It might be fun if that works. I really don't know much about those, however. Frankly, I think you are stuck. You are flying at high season, short notice and with European fares up 11% this summer over last. I spent about an hour looking at all options and can't come up with anything really good. If you want to try Egypt Air :), you can save money....but who would do that?

19. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would not advise anyone to connect in Athens in the next couple of months. Until Greece will make up its mind about the sticking with the Euro (or not), and staying in the EU (or not), I don't think it would be wise to make a connection through Athens. If it is not my final destination I would not like to be stuck there because of strike, or one of the Greek airlines going out of business. It might not be that grim, but why take the risk.

GreekDeno likes this.