Flying to Canada with just NEXUS

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by NHandNV, Jan 4, 2016.  |  Print Topic

Tags:
  1. NHandNV

NHandNV Member

Status Points:
    I had to send my passport out to get renewed and at the time didn't have any international travel scheduled for a few months. Now a client in Toronto wants me to visit them in late January and it's unlikely I'll have my passport back by then. I have NEXUS, but I've never tried to cross the border with just my nexus card and not my passport (I'm a US Citizen). Is this legal - both via land and air crossing? Has anybody actually tried to do it?

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can travel to Canada with just NEXUS. Be warned, however, you are technically obligated to carry a passport with you at all times along with your NEXUS.

Do not be surprised if the border agent asks to see a copy of your passport upon arrival, despite the fact that you're holding a NEXUS.

Plus, some airlines flying into Canada are picky (I'm looking at you, Alaska and Delta) and require a passport inspection upon gate or you won't be allowed to board. I tried giving them a NEXUS once but they claimed that NEXUS was not a recognized document (which was bs, of course, but what are you gonna do). Good thing I had my passport on me.

I'm not sure what the procedure for passports in US are but in Canada we can call them and ask to put in a rush for an additional fee.

If you are travelling by car, typically the agents don't care. However like I said before sometimes the agents do ask for a passport and if you don't have one on you you can be declined entry.

3. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    NEXUS card is a WHTI compliant travel document, so theoretically that should be sufficient. With that said, you'd run into uninformed airline agents, and at least on my last interview the CBSA agent mentioned that carrying passport was required for air entry into Canada.

I would not worry about land (or sea) travel. For air, it might be safer to get a 2nd passport book.

There's a bit more insight on TOBB (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1235110-nexus-without-passport.html).

Also, don't forget to update your passport number on GOES once you get the new book.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  4. NHandNV

NHandNV Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice! I think my plan is to fly to BUF and then drive - not ideal for January, but it seems safer.

5. tombrady12

tombrady12 New Member

Status Points:
    I've been refused flying MTL to Washington D.C. because i only showed up with my Nexus. Ideally, always bring your passport as well. They have the right, but no the obligation to refuse you. For some flights, where customs is on the other side of the border, they have to refuze you.