flying to alaska in may/june

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by upupandaway7, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. upupandaway7

upupandaway7 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi Folks,
    This is a great forum and I love the way people help each other out here. It is a well kept secret.
    Kudos to all the senior members for clarifying the questions of newbies like me.

Here's mine:
    I live in New Jersey and will be flying out of Newark (EWR) / JFK .
    As i am a newbie, I am ok to fly coach as well as I dont have so many miles . just about 20k in united/continental from regular domestic travel .

1)I am planning Alaska in summer next year. (havent really decided which part in alaska :)
    I am yet to apply for any of these good cards but have a good credit score and so does my wife.
    Which credit cards/miles are the best for Alaska flights/hotels. Wont be going by cruise.
    I am currently thinking ---> but please help me out.
    75000 AA Amex Personal
    75000 AA Citi Personal

2)Has anybody been to Peru(Machu Pichu) with miles . Which airlines and credit cards are the best for that trip?
    Which credit cards/miles are the best for Peru flights.

Thanks in advance .

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint.
    At a minimum, you need to let us know which airport(s) you will be flying from.
    Also, where in Alaska you want to go to.
    It would also be helpful to know if your intention is to fly coach, business or first class.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello and welcome to MP. I think it would help in getting recommendations from others if you were to include your origin city. In general, the OneWorld alliance has better coverage of South america (LAN is a member and AA has good coverage as well). Applying for the AA cards will help in getting to Peru for sure. Btw, the 75K mile offers have expired - as far as I know, the best offers available with Citi are for 50K AA miles (still not a bad deal).

It is in general difficult to get hotels in Alaska booked using points (outside of Anchorage) because there arent a whole lot of chains in many areas. If you could tell us where in Alaska you are planning to visit, that would help us in giving you some suggestions. We went to both Alaska and Peru this year and had an incredible time in each destination - no matter how you end up travelling there, you will have a wonderful time for sure.

4. upupandaway7

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot Miles and Smiles /QuasiConvexity. I updated my post with origin city and some other details. You guys are fast.
    Quasi,where that picture from? Peru?

miles and smiles likes this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Certainly you should consider getting the Alaska Air credit card. Since you are flying out of NYC area, you will have many, many choices in getting to Alaska.
    Keep in mind that you don't have to get just one card. To get to both Alaska and Peru, you will need a fair amount of miles. But it's not hard to accumulate lots of miles over the months ahead.

yaychemistry likes this.
  6. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the better options may be the Alaska Airlines (AS) Visa Card from Bank of America. Right now there's only a 25,000 mile sign up bonus, but the true value is in the $99 companion pass. If you buy any AS ticket (not including partner fares on AA or DL) then you can get a second ticket for a companion for only $99 and taxes (which are usually around $50 or so). The great thing is that the companion fare essentially copies the first ticket purchased so you can basically get a 2 for 1 deal on a First Class ticket if you want. And both tickets are mileage earning (EWR-SEA-ANC is 7700 miles rt, and if you flew in F you would earn over 11000 miles with the first-class bonus). Of course, if you want to save money the companion pass is still a great value on Economy tickets.

AS flies EWR-SEA non-stop, and then from SEA you can fly direct* to nearly any airport in Alaska. And obviously, AS has the best route network within the state of Alaska.
    *The smaller airports may require one or more stops, but you won't have to get off the airplane.

As far as getting to Peru, AS is partners with American Airlines, Delta, and Lan. You can get an award on American or Delta for 35,000 AS miles, or 50-60k miles on Lan. I've never flown either airline long-haul so I can't tell you which is a better ride. But if you both get the visa, with the sign-up bonus and with the EWR-ANC flights you should be within 5k miles of two AA or DL awards to Peru.

You can earn more AS miles by flying AA or DL domestically due to their partnership.

Long-term, AS probably isn't the -best- choice if you're based in EWR, as the only AS flight from EWR is to SEA. However, it presents a decent way to get to both Alaska and Peru.

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is much info available on airline credit card offers.
    some places to look include:
    this forum
    the credit card forum here -- http://milepoint.com/forums/categories/credit-card-programs.18/
    this thread on Flyertalk -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1177334-special-credit-card-offers-master-thread.html
    there are many blogs on Boarding Area with helpful info -- http://boardingarea.com/
    and these blogs are helpful, too:
    http://thepointsguy.com/
    http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/
    http://millionmilesecrets.com/
    http://www.freefrequentflyermiles.com/index.htm

yaychemistry likes this.
  8. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    P.S. I forgot to say welcome to MilePoint!

I highly suggest visiting Southeast Alaska (especially Juneau!). To be honest, I've never been anywhere else in Alaska, except for Juneau but I love it. It's a pretty small city, but the scenery is amazing. The Mt. Roberts hike/tram is interesting, but my favorite is the Mendenhall Glacier. Be sure to visit the Alaskan Brewery if you're into craft beers. The Smoked Porter is my favorite all-time beer and I can't find it anywhere else. They smoke the grain in the salmon smokers across the street.

9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you sign up for the British Airways credit card ( offering 50000 miles on their website - this is a fee card), you can use Avios points to fly within South America on LAN (a BA partner) on the cheap. You can also use Avios points to fly on Alaska within Alaska on the cheap (although not as cheap as a few weeks ago). ;)

Welcome to MP upupandaway7.

SC Flier and miles and smiles like this.
  10. upupandaway7

Status Points:
    Folks,just got approved via the 2 browser for both the AA citi personal cards with good credit limits. i applied for the 50k/150$ credit ones,lets see how much they offer when the cards come out.
    Thanks a lot again.

11. upupandaway7

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot for this. Would you mind letting me know your travel route to Peru? and how you booked with miles?
    Was it with the AA advantage account? I havent yet booked any flights with miles,so pardon the newbie question.