Flying the U.S. in a Small Plane

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Jun 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    anileze, gaijin62, MX and 2 others like this.
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A wonderful story to read. Thanks for finding it for us.

anileze, MX and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed the story! Flying in a small plane is not for everyone. But, if you hang around a small airport and get to know some of the pilots, you might even get a free flight or two in! Just one thing to remember: I recall asking where the parachute was when I first flew as a passenger in a small plane. I was told by the pilot that there are none - and that the pilot is expected to land the plane in case of an emergency! ;)

anileze likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Long time ago my brother bought a new Citabria, he and my father picked it up at the factory (in MN I believe) and flew it back to Southern California.
    It's a two-seater aerobatic plane, one seat in front of the other. They camped out along the way, sleeping under the wings.

5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many years ago my boss decided he wanted to get his private pilot's license, and he was able to qualify and bought a small used four seater to fly around the Toronto area. Based it at the Toronto Island airport downtown and he flew it often. One day after work he asked if I wanted to join him on a weekend day flight for several hours as he knew I am a flying nerd/wannabee. Of course I jumped at the chance and joined him that morning as we took off and headed north towards Barrie, Ontario, about 60 miles north of Toronto. The previous week there had been a devastating tornado up there with a lot of damage to be seen as we flew over the city. Turning south to head back we flew over what was barely left of a small racetrack there (never rebuilt after the storm) which was only the track left afterwards with no stands or anything left of it. On the way back he asked me if I wanted to take over flying for a bit and I flew almost all the way back until we entered the very crowded Toronto Pearson airport's airspace, when he took over for the landing back at YTZ, the Island airport.

A really fun trip for me as he let me handle the controls for a while, but a little unsettling when he decided to make a last minute short descent (dive) for the landing.

anileze and Newscience like this.