Flying QF First Time in J SYD-AKL

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Flyer1976, Nov 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a choice of booking QF55 (B73H) from SYD-AKL QF321 (Codeshared by LAN Airlines with the A340)... So I have a B73H or a A340 for a Business Class Award... I guess what I am asking from QF Resident Experts is what can I expect on the 3:15 Hour Flight in Business Class in terms of Amenities & Service... I am usually a Star Alliance Guy but I'll be giving QF a try for the first time I suppose.

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The LAN flight has better seat, but terrible food.
    The Qantas flight has better food.
    IFE reasonable on both.

Chimpy likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh well LAN might be cheaper because QF has YQ on their Award tickets.

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    That QF flight (like most QF trans-Tasman flights) is actually operated by QF's New Zealand subsidiary Jetconnect. It'll be a ZK-registered aircraft with mostly Kiwis on board, based in Auckland. I think that most regular passengers think that Jetconnect cabin crew are generally better than QF mainline crew - friendlier and more enthusiastic, and no less competent.

I've flown Jetconnect many times and have therefore been trying for some years to get on the LAN for sheer novelty value - but every time I have an itinerary that means I can book it, something happens and I end up back on a QF flight. <sigh>

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The qf flight will be basically domestic j service and equipment...which I find to be comfortable.

LAN will be an internationally-equipped plane.

Is timing sensitive for you? LAN presumably has one plane per day operating this service. If there's any sort of mechanical issue...or delay on the inbound...you could have a long delay. I was on a UA flight syd-lax which had a 22 hour delay...basically, one plane never left lax...and that mucked things up royally. Qf will have alternate equipment....perhaps not immediately...but definitely somewhere on the continent!

6. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAN does only have one flight a day; and it does not have a stellar record of reliability!

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case I'll stick to the Queen's airline...

8. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have flown in J on the 73H AKL-SYD. Very new interior, reclining but not flat bed seats, AVOD. Good food and wine list ( by airline standards). I thought it was a very acceptable J class for a short flight. I have never flown LAN so cannot compare. The only thing better IMO than the 73H in terms of both hard and soft product would be EK.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to say I'm rather impressed with the QF Club Business Lounge in comparsion to Star Alliance Lounges it's a step up from what I'm used to domestically in the U.S.