Flying out-of-alliance question: EY, EK or QR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Saracen, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning a SIN-LHR for June with the family. I'm enrolled in BD (letting it lapse), OZ (en-route to *G) and SQ KF (for own metal upgrades and credit cards). Looking at all the options, it looks like flying with *A just isn't going to work out due to cost. Hence, I'm now considering flying out-of-alliance, since EY, EK and QR can do it for $7k for 5 of us, a saving of S$2k over the cheapest *A earning fares. EY could credit to OZ, but I'd have to add accounts for the family, plus the pooling isn't like BD's where you can move the miles into your own account. The QR fare I can get earns 50% in the BD program, which I could then transfer all of into my own account, in anticipation of those *A upgrades being launched soon. EK, from what I can tell don't hook up to anything I have.

So: 14k in my own OZ account plus another 54k scattered around the family's accounts?
    Or 35k in my BD account?

Plus any word on EY vs QR in terms of service, transit, etc..

piqaro likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    35k in your BD account can go a long way, as long as you use it before the program is integrated with M&M (which shouldn't happen until 2012 earliest). That'd be my recommendation.

gpaya and piqaro like this.
  3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    The thing is, I've not been spending my BMI miles since I previously had to earn miles on all my flying to maintain *G. I have been waiting for them to roll out mileage upgrades – I have a stash of nearly 300k miles waiting for that day. Though now, with OZ's easier criteria, maybe I should think about full-on C&M award flights.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if your entire family is on the same OZ Family Plan, you can redeem awards using their miles as well. I just had to fill out a form and fax or scan to them a copy of the form with their signatures and the amount I'm withdrawing. Their miles wouldn't go into your status miles though.

5. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally, someone who's used the OZ family plan! So do I have to create an Asiana Club account for all of them including the kids? Then fill in that form and fax it to them? Once this is done, can I see the family plan online, or are all the accounts still separate? BD's implementation is fantastic since the family head can see everyone's miles and transfer them online.