Flying on with multiple airlines & alliances: question about checking-in

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ukinny, May 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ukinny

ukinny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there,

I have a question regarding an itinerary that involves four flights, and three airlines, all in different alliances. The itin is as follows:

RGN-BKK (on TG), BKK-HKG (on TG), HKG-FRA (on CX) and FRA-JFK (on DL). There is just one e-ticket number, issued by CX, though each airline has it's own locator.

My question is: when I check in initially at RGN, will they be able to check me in all the way through to JFK, or will I need to check in everytime the airline changes (at HKG and FRA)?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a chance they will check you all the way through. Slightly more likely is that you'll need to visit a transit desk in HKG and in FRA. And there's always the chance that the ticket gets wholly cancelled out in this case.

3. ukinny

ukinny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pardon my ignorance on this matter, but what happens to luggage with a transit desk visit? Do i need to still go to baggage claim?

P.S. I am hoping the tickets sticks - always wanted to visit Myanmar!

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should tag your bags all the way through. You will show your tags at the transit desk and they will note them on the local carrier record to make sure your bags continue on with you.

5. ukinny

ukinny Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a related note, I am trying to understand my Amadeus e-tick a bit better. I see the first three segments have "Coupon Status : Open for use," which I assume is ok. The fourth one however shows, "Coupon Status : Control." Any idea what that means?