Flying on Mar 5, new number, old number, huh??

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by davidbbrenner, Feb 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    Flying NAP-MUC-IAD on Mar 5 and IAD-MUC-NAP on Mar 7 on Lufthansa and United metal. When I get my itinerary, and I want to attach my FF number, what do I tell them?

If my current United one (which is going away) is United account #12345,
    and my current Continental one (which survives the merger) is Continental #AB6789,
    Do I have to wait until after Mar 3, or do I tell the travel agent now to apply United #AB6789?

Wouldn't that come up as an invalid account number at this point? Or do I just tell them to apply Continental #AB6789?

Thanks!
    Dave

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That soon after, I might be inclined to use whichever one my status (if any) was attached to. If it's attached to both, I'd use the CO number.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either one should work just fine for several months after then 3/3 date. If both have the proper status associated with them I'd use the CO one at this point, but either should work.

4. I flew recently and my continental code worked.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know if Chase will automagically get the "new" number from United to continue to post my RDM and EQM earned with the VISA card? It would seem easier/more cost effective for them to implement that instead of having each card holder call in/complain about missing miles etc.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been thinking about this as well. I received an email offer for the 50K Chase MP Explorer card, and it said to apply by 2/29 to receive the offer, so I was going to apply this week. But I don't want to associate my PMUA MP# with the card, and then in the month until my bonus miles hit, have UA give me a new number and run into issues there...

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am fairly certain they'll have a significant overlap period where miles posted to the old UA account will be moved over. Just think about delayed partner postings etc. Hopefully they'll post somewhere on their Hub how this will all work (if they haven't already).

8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but when US and America West (HP?) merged, weren't old US numbers supposed to converge into America West numbers?

I've stubbornly used my old US Airways 5B number and everything still takes it.