Flying on First Seats as Main Cabin Extra?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by adrianors, Dec 10, 2017.

1. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello folks..

I recently purchased a flight on AA from LAX to DFW (Boeing 777-300ER (77W)) in which most of the seats on First/Business were labeled Main Cabin Extra (with the * for elite only), have any of you ever had that? First 2 row seats are labeled First and the remaining Main Extra.. would that be because it's a huge plane flying on a domestic route? I looked up the same flight without logging in and those seats were closed, just Main Extra coach seats open for their usual fee..

Anyway, flying with family and not using points to upgrade, so having all seats open just became a huge perk.

2. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think...

When AA operates a three-cabin plane on a two-cabin route, they don't sell all three cabins, but rather sell F as domestic J (which used to be domestic F...), and then designate the J cabin as MCE and block them for elites and full-fare Y pax. They can't switch the inventory system between two- and three-cabin aircraft easily, so this is their workaround, Pretty sweet when it happens!

iolaire likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's correct. 3-cabin aircraft don't get sold that way on some routes in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using InsideFlyer

4. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    And so, on the day of check in, they dropped all the seats that were in business class (aka Main Cabin Extra for the specific flight) and transform them into business again, upgrade most of people but not me, as I am traveling with family, and push me back to row 30. What a nice treat from American. And in the customer service letter that they sent me after I complained about that (not because of that but because my fight with the gate agent about checking a carry on Tumi I fly all the time with), they have the courage of saying they changed the plane, and thats what happened. Oh well, it seems I was doomed to fly economy all the way anyway, just disappointed with the no leg room seats.

5. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you were downgraded from a 3 class 777-300 which when flown domestic offers all the business class seats as MCE, to a 2 class Configured 777-200. When the 772 is flown domestic the business class seats are the F cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adrianors likes this.
  6. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, that makes more sense to me. :)