Flying on Continental for the first time

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by miketown, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been a very loyal UA flyer over the past decade, but prices and availability see me booking a ticket on Continental.com.

I'm now a [lowly] Premier on this routing: SEA-IAH-PHL-SFO-SEA

1. PHL-SFO-SEA is obviously UA Metal (CO#) can I used a UA Regional Upgrade on that?
    2. Should I be scared of coach on CO?
    3. Why didn't I get PremEx in 2010?
    4. Why am I asking so many questions?

2. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. I think you should be able to use a UA regional upgrade on that flight, but you won't be able to request it until day of departure at the gate, so by that point, chances are slim that upgrade would be available.
    2. I can't really help there as the only CO domestic flight I took last year was in 1st, though from what I've read about CO Y, the seats are supposed to be pure torture (though I've never sat in one, so I can't say for sure).
    3. Can't help you with that one.
    4. See answer to 3 above.

3. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Re. #1 - Actually, depends when it was booked. If it was booked recently (as in, past week or two), one CAN apply a CR-1 immediately online - the system is fixed and now shows the actual UA flight number on united.com. Older itineraries still show the CO code-share number, though (in other words, the fix was not retroactive).
    Re. #2 - No, especially if you can snag an exit row. Reports of torturous CO Y seats are vastly overstated.

4. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip. I hadn't realized that and now won't be so cautious about booking a CO codeshare.

5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Y seats on CO aren't the most comfortable, but "pure torture" is a bit overstated. The padding is thinner but other than it not being E+ they aren't the end of the world either.

If you can get the exit row you'll do just fine.

Good Luck!

6. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well that sucks. Does it have to be UA flight #s? Not just UA metal?

7. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doing the same in march, best of luck to the both of us.

Is there a way to see my CO reservation on UA? it's a CO number on CO metal...

8. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    See if you can get yourself a bulkhead or exit-row seat on the CO flights. There's no E+ at the moment, but your status may get you a little extra legroom if the cert doesn't work.

9. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I apologize, I may have spoken too soon re. #1. I have two separate CO codeshare itineraries on UA metal, one of which the UA flight number came up for, and one that I just booked as a CO codeshare which is NOT showing up as the UA flight number on the UA website. So it looks like this issue is still around, albeit intermittently...

10. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be very afraid of Y on CO metal. Their definition of 31" seat pitch appears to be 30.51" rounded up. It's truly the tightest seat pitch in the majors. The headrests are reasonable, but that's all the good I can find in a CO Y seat.

11. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seat is absolutely awful! Last year, the two times I was in CO mainline Y I needed a trip to the chiropractor on my return. I don't know how they could have possibly come up with a more uncomfortable seat

Scottrick likes this.
  12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, they're not the most comfortable. A comparison I like to make in my head is between my Civic and my gf's Corolla. I drove her Corolla 3 hr to Vancouver once and my back was killing me before we were even half way there. But my Civic is a dream. She doesn't think there's a difference, so apparently it's person-specific. I'd imagine with more people like me Toyota would do something.

Probably the same with CO. There are a lot of other reasons to be uncomfortable in Y, and the amount of seat padding is not high on the list for most people. CO isn't necessarily that bad, but you can tell they skimped. It's one of those things that you'd expect to be identical until you sit down.