Flying on Christmas Day

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by DrinkingCoffee, Oct 8, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    It makes me very sad, but it looks like I will be flying on Christmas Day to save several hundred dollars. Has anyone experienced this? Would it be odd to bring something like chocolates for the flight attendants? I'm sure it is not very fun working on Christmas Day.

Dublin_rfk, Flyer1976 and YULtide like this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew last year on Christmas and brought along some chocolates for the FAs. They really appreciated it. One commented that she wished the higher status pax were as thoughtful, which really said a lot.

This was on AC.

DrinkingCoffee likes this.
  3. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I frequently travel on Christmas Day, either because the flights are cheaper or there's award availability that isn't there on other days.

It's become a tradition for me to bring chocolates for the flight attendants working that day. It's a small gesture, but it might brighten up what might otherwise be an unfortunate day to be working.

4. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Christmas Day air travel is summed up easily: "quiet"

If you bring a gift for the employees who have to work, you are angelic.

5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did it last year and it was fairly quiet, although my flights were full. I was on DL - I had some chocolates and gave them to the crew. But, DL went out of its way to make passengers feel special too - with cookies and punch at the gates at IAH, and then when we boarded there, treats sitting in every seat on the plane, along with a note from the IAH station wishing us a happy and safe holiday. ATL was giving out candy too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown a few times over Christmas intentionally as last year I flew Atlanta to Munich on Christmas Evening and then from Munich to Warsaw on Christmas Day. The crews were very festive and in good spirits for being away from their loved ones. It would not be too odd to bring chocolate as long as they are sealed in their packages as there might be company policy to politely accept and dispose of unsealed food for security/safety reasons. :)

DrinkingCoffee and Garp74 like this.
  7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have flown on Christmas Day a few times, and I have brought treats for the flight crews as well as gate agents. Usually, I do chocolates or sealed box of cookies for flight crews, and I've done $10 Starbucks cards for gate agents. They are all very appreciative.

DrinkingCoffee, Garp74 and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown on Christmas day the last 3 years. I bring some Christmas cards and throw in some Starbucks gift cards, and usually goes over well. Don't forget the pilots!

9. DrinkingCoffee

Status Points:
    Wow! I fly through IAH, but on United. Thank you for the info.

10. DrinkingCoffee

Status Points:
    The thought of gift cards had not crossed my mind- what a great suggestion. Thank you!

11. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do try to avoid fluging on the holidays. Chocolates for the FA's on the other hand are always in my presence and handed out liberally!

12. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew DEL-MUC on Christmas a few years back. There were more FAs than passengers on a 346. Arriving at Munich airport resembled the old British Airways ad. FAs were bright and helpful (normalized for LH F). Guess they would have been getting home in time for Christmas dinner.

13. Mrp Alert

Mrp Alert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew MIA-LHR 2 years ago. The flight was relatively empty. The Aarivals lounge in LHR was desolate on Boxing Day. Harrods was pretty busy later that day ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We will be doing BA to LHR on Christmas evening this year arriving on Boxing Day.
    I will be interested in how quiet things are on these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk