Flying on a Y ticket a couple of days earlier?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by davidbbrenner, Apr 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello Smart People!

I typically fly a NAP-MUC-IAD itinerary on a given Monday in Fare Basis Y, and then fly back from IAD-MUC-NAP on Wednesday, also in Fare Basis Y. As a "refundable/changeable fare", I know that once I'm in DC, if I need to stay a day longer or shorter, I can do so, but what if I wanted to START the trip on the Saturday before - essentially the very first leg would be moved up a couple of days. I would only be making the decision on whether to fly on Saturday or Monday a few days before.

In your experience, can I make such a change without incurring additional costs, or would doing so really be akin to canceling the first ticket and then essentially paying an astronomical charge to get a brand new refundable ticket on like 2 days notice?

I don't think it matters, but I am a Platinum flyer on United.

Thanks!
    Dave

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally speaking tickets booked in "Y" are fully flexible and can be changed as you are describing without issue. It might involve re-pricing the ticket at the current Y fare but that number doesn't change much very often so you should basically get it at the same price.

3. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Wandering!