Flying from Glasgow, Scotland to Dublin, Ireland

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by kaladeb, Jan 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kaladeb

kaladeb New Member

Status Points:
    In March I will be flying one way from Glasgow to Dublin. Any recommendations on airlines? I do not have any points for UK airlines.

Any recommendations on rental cars in Dublin?

Thanks.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatever is cheap. The flight is too short to worry about much in the way of service or the points IMO.

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something you need to know about car rental in Ireland is that almost no credit cards provide insurance coverage there, and the obligatory insurance coverage that you are then forced to buy can sometimes cost 400 or 500% of the rental price -- a $100 rental can easily wind up costing $500. For that reason, if you have the opportunity to get one of the few credit cards that provide coverage in Ireland I suggest you do so. Also, you may need to have with you a letter from the card's insurance carrier stating that you have coverage in the Republic of Ireland.

The best blogger I know on this subject is RapidTravelChai.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never had this issue with rental cars being overly expensive and have had several trips there in the past few years where I lost left mirror a few times on some narrow country lane (maybe this is reason for change) but good to clarify costs

not sure if Ryan Air flies that route but never again, I would not take a free ticket. Check Aer Lingus but I think that I flew Dublin to Edinburgh?

agree with 2nd post otherwise, short flight

I used Europcar several times, they seemed decent

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  5. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe Aer Lingus is the only carrier that flies that route non-stop, I would defnitely go with them if the cost is reasonable. Its a very short flight as Seth noted, so adding a stop will turn a short journey into a long one.

Edit: It seems that Ryanair also does fly non-stop from Prestwick which is optimistically named "Glasgow Prestwick" and is about as close to Glasgow as Edinburgh Airport is!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would on a flight that short. Pay the extra few dollars for an exit row and enjoy the flight.

7. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you are looking to save pennies and be treated like crap, Ryan is the perfect airline for you :D

8. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you wanted to fly next week the surprise is that with Aer Lingus/Aer Arann on many days you have to pay less on Aer Arann than on Ryanair.

uggboy likes this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aer Lingus Regional which is operated by Aer Arann is the way to go. :)

10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This happens more often than people think or care to look up. ;)