Flying F on AA in the lower 48 on two itins with award tix, without AA status. Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Kohoutek, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown AA in years, as I'm married to DL.

That said, I wanted to sew up my domestic US vacation plans for the year.

At least three of them, anyway.

I booked a DL award for one, for the minimum miles. I found :) :cool:, and booked, two AA awards to destinations that would require more than the minimum miles from DL. Very pleased with that development.

I know I won't have to pay for checked bags. I think I may be able to hang out enroute at DL SCs with AA tix.

One question that I have: should I remove my DYKWIA DL bag tags from my carry-ons?

I'm so horribly spoiled by DL, that I have no earthly idea about the AA US domestic F experience.

Please give me some comfort.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why? Nobody ( welI I dont anyway) pays that much attention to your bag tags, it certainly wont affect your cadin service and you might be surprised to find there are quite lot of elites who are top teir in both programs. Domestic F service on both carriers about the same and the only problem you might encounter depending on the airport is that the SCs are in a different terminal from the one AA uses.

3. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    The domestic AA experience is on par, possibly better than the DL experience. The only exception being on the planes with the Direct TV/IFE.

Not sure why you're apprehensive... it's not like you're flying US. :eek:

FYI... I still keep my UA RCC tags on my suitcases even though I haven't been a member for >5 years. I'd rather have an anonymous FF # on my bag than my home address listed as an advertisement to rob my house while I'm gone.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm with everyone else, I'm not sure what you'd be apprehensive about? Generally speaking I think UA/CO/DL/AA offer fairly comparable F experiences with slight variations in equipment, food, and soft product. A lot of it depends on your route, too. Where are you flying from, through, and to? Flying JFK-LAX is a different experience then flying LGA-ORD-LAX in F for example.

While it might seem biased, I've often heard AA offers better catering onboard then the other US carriers. Perhaps if you can give us some specific issues you have reservations about, we can help address them.

Either way, enjoy your trip ;)

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL requires you to be traveling same day on a DL or skyteam carrier for lounge access. If you aren't on AA and DL on the same day, the SC won't let you in.

I flew UA the other day and ended up with 2.5 hrs of airport downtime...so I bought a refundable DL ticket to access the SC while I waited. (I don't have RCC access.) i checked in with both UA and DL. I refunded the ticket on DL.com while I was still in the lounge. I don't do this often, but if you're lounge-less for 2 or more hours, I find it worth it.

I suspect some people would raise the doubling booking risk ... I have never had a problem with double booking across different alliances. I have not tried within the same alliance.

6. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get into to the US lounge with the AMEX plat card even when not traveling on US and is touted as one of the newer benefits for Plat card holders.

KimK likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're a SC member, are you sure you must be flying SkyTeam to use a SC (not a contract or affiliate lounge)? I thought the rule was that you must have government issued photo ID and some boarding pass for the day, but it didn't need to be DL (or SkyTeam). Of course, if you access the SC by the DLAmEx Reserve Credit Card or the regular (not DL) AmEx Platinum Charge Card, the rules are different and you must be flying DL.

Another possibility for both you and the OP is Priority Pass, although it is no longer accepted in DL SCs.

8. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    we're hood, yo. keep dissin' US and we'll bust a cap in yo plane

Original Member and neuatomic like this.
  9. Original Member
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So funny. :D So true!!! Here's a picture I took 18 months ago in TPA.... whole plane is ghetto!
    IMG_0248.jpg

10. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    ha, i actually love the old paint jobs, but i was refering more to the bullet hole found the other day at CLT.

the most hood-rich flight i've experienced was a UA 757 from LAS-IAD

11. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all for posting on this thread. I'm swamped with work demands, hence my silence. I'll get back on this thread as soon as time permits. :)

12. Original Member
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Didn't see the one about the bullet hole.

I think what I love beyond the paint job is the mismatched wing root panel that's painted red white and blue just aft of the wing. Also, you can't appreciate it but the nose cone is also beat up and is also a mismatch. After taking this photo (and plane to DCA!), I looked up old photos on A.net and saw that this plane looked this lousy for over a year. :rolleyes:

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Story here.

I was rerouted on US by AA once after a flight I was on went mechanical. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but I'll take AA any day still, especially if I have to brace for bullets on landing.

14. Original Member
    Original Member

Status Points:
    US isn't terrible, but they're far from my top 4 choices. I happen to be elite on both US and AA... only because I happen to fly to DCA enough and AA doesn't do East Coast particularly well.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, the only airline I have a major issue with is United. The last 5 flights I had with them, something went wrong. Every single time. I think it was a sign to stay away.... ;)

16. Original Member
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Those are just the airline gods giving you a warning.

I had one of "those" types of things with UA back in '03-'05... every time I flew home to SEA, my luggage would be "lost". Since I was home and didn't NEED the stuff in the suitcase in the morning, I'd tell them I only wanted the suitcases when the sun was up (but not necessarily shining). However, the delivery service ALWAYS delivered my stuff at 3 AM, ringing the doorbell and waking me up to sign for it. Despite this, I loved flying UA. If I wasn't in F, I could be in E+ listening to ch9. Had they been a viable alternative to me when I moved to TPA and had they had a viable latin american partner, I'd have stayed with them. Well, that and the whole TED thing... Theodore and I didn't get along since I paid for F a fair amount.

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, yes, you are correct. I gain access with my Amex Plat card which requires a same day BP. If the op is a sky club member, all he needs is any same-day boarding pass...need not be DL or ST. If he gains access through Amex Plat or Reserve, then the refundable ticket approach is the way to go.

US offers non-ticketed lounge access with a Plat card.