Flying ex-UK in the future? UK APD goes up in April.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Skye1, Mar 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those with ex-UK travel plans coming up, yet not yet booked...
    Realizing several on this forum fly regualarly from London, Manchester, etc...

UK Air Passenger duty goes up AGAIN, this time by at least 8%, in April. :mad::(:eek::mad:

It's all over the business news here today, with too many links to chose from to post here. Just google-news UK APD for the details from your media outlet of choice.

If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, but this may also apply to upgrades that clear from April onward (as in, you're ticket is already booked, but your upgrade hasn't cleared yet). Seems like the last time the APD went up, several had stories of being charged the higher APD as it was the duty (tax) in effect at the time of the "clearing", with people trying to challenge AA on it, and whether or not AA had to collect it as such....

Aktchi, rwoman and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad, very sad!:(:mad::(

rwoman and Skye1 like this.
  3. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad indeed. This, combined with the EU's emissions schemes charges that carriers flying to/from/thru the EU have to pay, and the upcoming increase in fuel costs.....sigh.....

uggboy likes this.
  4. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If an SWU clears, there's additional tax to pay? I have one coming up, and it cleared, but I don't think they asked me about paying for tax.

uggboy likes this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'll be imposed leaving the UK. :(

uggboy likes this.
  6. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK - mine that cleared is going to the UK. So if the ex-UK one clears, I guess I'll get a phone call or something.

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, IIRC, you will not get dinged going to the UK, it's when you leave. On DL, I've been upgraded and had to go see the ticketing agent in order to pay the APD...hate it, hate it, hate it...

uggboy and Skye1 like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Typically when I've waitlisted a SWU out of the UK the phone agent asks me to give a CC for when it clears.

9. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I might suggest being a bit pro-active, & calling an EXP agent & giving that info., so your upgrade clearance isn't held up by that.

If it comes down to clearing at the gate, I wouldn't want to risk the upgrade clearance being in the hands of a busy gate agent who doesn't or can't or won't take the time to process the cc if it's not already there.

uggboy and schnitzel like this.
  10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's my experience as well...and usually they won't even ticket the reservation without it.

uggboy likes this.
  11. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're talking about the APD (vs. having to go back to the ticketing agent), yep, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it as well, and that hatred is going up by about, oh, say, 8-10% come this April. :mad:

uggboy likes this.
  12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Added to that AAs LHR agents tend to be pretty inept at doing anything other just plain vanilla check in.

uggboy and Skye1 like this.
  13. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Thus my point. ;) That goes for Flagship Checkin agents as well.....can recall one occasion when the upgrade hadn't cleared yet, but likely would on day of departure, and they had absolutely no clue what or how to do that, and had to call the EXP desk...and couldn't locate the number so I showed it to them (on my EXP card).

14. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK - shouldn't hurt to ping them anyway.

uggboy, rwoman and Skye1 like this.
  15. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. You really would rather ping them than try and solve it with the agents at LHR. In fact I'd politely ask the agent what you could tell the agents at LHR as far as where it is they'll find it in your record.

16. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    The APD made me vote with my wallet. We used to go to London between 6 and 8 times a year - we even signed up for IRIS because we were going so often. However, after the APD came in to full force, we all but stopped visiting the UK (I don't think that I have been there more than twice in the past 4 years). I would much rather give the APD money to the people working in the economies of Italy and Spain than giving it to the London bureaucrats.

Skye1, uggboy, Aktchi and 1 other person like this.
  17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not blame you in the least. If I did not live here, I would do the same! ;)

TheBeerHunter and uggboy like this.
  18. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I avoid transiting through UK whenever possible. Other times, which are mercifully few, just close my eyes, hold the breath, and pay. :)

19. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Between added hotel expenses and transit to other places in the EU, I usually just pay it....:(

uggboy likes this.
  20. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you live in LA and want an AA nonstop to Europe, you take what you can get . . .

Skye1 and uggboy like this.
  21. bubb1
    Original Member

bubb1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I am naive, but this policy has always struck me as shockingly shortsighted. We transit LHR often and would gladly stopover for a few days in the city but that practice has ceased entirely for us.

uggboy and Aktchi like this.
  22. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    rwoman and schnitzel: Good points. Sometimes you are in a situation where you just can't avoid paying this or another unpleasant fee.

I often fly from ORD to India. When I could not take AA's now-defunct ORD-DEL nonstop, but still wanted OneWorld, I could feel the pull of BA and LHR like that of some Evil Dark Star in a sci fi movie! However, by looking around I was usually able to connect in AMM or HEL, or find AA-codeshare flights operated by non-OW carriers like Jet Airways / Etihad. So, I could work something out, most of the time.

uggboy and schnitzel like this.
  23. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't give rwoman a sex-change on us!

Point well taken, though. I think I should be paying more attention to taxes than I do. I'm usually of the "I'm going to X" mentality, and that's it.

uggboy and Aktchi like this.
  24. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    While there is much to dislike about these bureaucracies, they know how to count money. In the end, I suspect that they earn more from not-so-vigilant travelers than they lose from people like you and me.

uggboy likes this.
  25. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops, just corrected my mistype. Yet another proof that copy+paste works better than look+type. :)

uggboy likes this.