Flying discounted without credit cards? NEED HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Tripleanhandyman, Oct 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Tripleanhandyman

Tripleanhandyman New Member

Status Points:
    Hi I'm totally new to this and could use all the help I can and fast so all help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my issue's

I'm 24 and unfortunately ruined my credit in my teens with my ex and am still trying to find funding to clean it up. Soo with that I feel credit card points are out for me nor do I think I'd spend enough to earn miles fast enough anyway.

That brings me to my next problem me and my girlfriend moved to San Jose CA from NY in February and now we would like fly back home to visit for Christmas.

We're extremely tight on money I was just on C'list looking for gigs to start earning extra income to fly home. With rent, food and gas expenses. We just make it by we came out here to follow our life goals and dreams and this has becoming a bit of a downer trying to get home now.

Upon this going on I found tonight about the flight hackers and through a news article I heard about this site and figured it could help. I also saw there was way's to receive flight miles from other forms besides credit card flyer miles and was wondering what I could do tonight, tomorrow, this minute! I read that Chris Guillebeau the maker this website once received a hair loss consultation and received 20,000 Delta sky miles for it. So that's what I'm looking to do, stuff like that. So if you know any of that like I said I'm located in San Jose, CA and will drive an hour or 2 to get a discount miles.

Another question I had was does 20,000 miles actually mean 20,000 miles of flight miles or is there some algorithm that it actually equates to like 1,500 miles or something.

I really just want to get her home for the holidays and I know she want's me there she's been so supportive of me coming out here and doing my own start up company and I want to help and support her as much as I can.

I just found out I need 50,000 delta or united miles as those are the two cheapest I found. With Milez.biz calculator for my trip.

Please help all you can Becki and I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank You
    Cody
    upload_2013-10-27_22-42-2.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    gregm likes this.
  2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Cody
    The number of miles you will need for a trip depends on the airline you redeem them with. You can generally find out on their website.
    If you want to fly at peak periods (like Christmas) you generally have to use more miles or book really early.
    If you post a quick question in the forums for each airline you are interested in people who can help you are more likely to see the request.
    Good luck with your quest :)

anileze likes this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    SunTrust and Delta have a debit card that gives a sign up bonus. It varies, but I've seen 15,000 miles a couple of times. The fee may be up to $75 but it's worth the miles.

vickers likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is probably not what you want to hear, but my recommendation is to spend your time and effort on earning money and finding the cheapest flights for your trip (people here can help with that as well).

Oh, and welcome to MilePoint.

brucewil, marcwint55, iolaire and 4 others like this.
  5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    the games we play here is mostly using our good credit to get miles to travel in off peak times of the year, it is very dificult to use miles to travel around the holidays, because so many people want ot travel to be with loved ones for the hollidays. your best bet is to look for a good deal on airfare, i would recommend looking to fly on less popular days, such as christmas day

6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your money is tight, you do not have discretionary change lying around for that credit card(s) (even if you manage one with miles quickly). Follow HaveMilesWillTravel's advice. Find the cheapest possible flight, and to pay for that, and if short, borrow from friends and family.

7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. This is probably your best bet until you get your credit turned around.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  9. Tripleanhandyman

Status Points:
    Thank You all for your help. I was wondering if I get some miles like the 15,000 with delta would that help to at least drop my pricing down on the flight considerably? Also is there anyone that would possibly be open to using their extra miles they're not gonna be using, for 2 tickets for us in exchange for cash I saw someone on one of the forms mention that had 1.4 million and I couldn't imagine them spending them before they would make them back just as fast along with getting cash for them. I even posted an add on craigslist near me for the same thing. I don't know like I said I'm new to this so I may be asking for something up surd. Also HaveMilesWillTravel mentioned people may be able to help with finding jobs for extra cash for my flight if anybody knows anyone or anything I would really be interested, I'm pretty handy with plumbing, woodworking, contracting, and electrical like I said I'm in San Jose CA again any and all help would be appreciated.

Again thank you all for you help.

10. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the linked article: "Previously, Suntrust only offered the Delta debit cards to those who lived in places where SunTrust is based including Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carlona, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, and Washington DC, but recently they opened it up to anyone living in the U.S. according to Free Frequent Flyer Miles."

This may have changed though. I remember looking at this as an option until I saw the annual fee and account requirements.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, as I said, look at the comments for the blog post. I have no personal experience with it.

anileze likes this.
  12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting part of the miles will not help get your price down. You'd have to get enough miles for one of the two tickets. Airlines other than Delta allow you to book a one-way ticket for half the miles so if you could get 12,500 miles on United you could get one-half of one of the tickets for free, but that would only help if the corresponding one-way was half the price of the original round trip.

While it is allowed to book tickets for other people (eg, you could get a friend or parent to book you a ticket with their miles) it is strictly against the rules of the frequent flier programs to sell miles for any financial consideration, and you're unlikely to find anyone interested in doing it. Not only that, but the economics would not work out. For the 25,000 miles it would take to fly one person round-trip in the US, most people would expect to get at least $750 of value when they redeem the miles (by using them for premium class tickets). No one would be interested in "selling" them to you for $150.

anileze and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  13. Tripleanhandyman

Status Points:
    I was thinking more on the lines of Economy and if $500 to $600 would be enough? My Tickets estimates were over $1,000 and I cant afford that.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What are the dates you were looking at?

nyc_flight.png

Counsellor likes this.
  15. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    selling tickets is against the terms and conditions of most miles programs, you risk losing your cash and having the airline not honor your ticket when you board, the selller risks loosing all miles in their account and the ability to earn miles in the future.
    the cheapest way across the country and back may be to drive. i still have memories of taking the greyhound to my parents home for christmas

marcwint55 likes this.
  16. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have yet to find someone who feels they have enough miles ;) Even with millions of miles, I will never have enough :D

17. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    As per several posters above, maybe there are other ways to do things this year.
    I can't help thinking that seeing you're extremely tight on money, maybe (some of) the family can come to you?

You're working hard on your new business and it would be a pity to be working extra jobs that take you away from your own business, and leave you tired.. It's great that you want to treat the girlfriend, though if your credit rating is still recovering from your ex, then maybe there are other ways?

Maybe do a lot of skype conversations over the holidays?

Or, try flying to nearby airports with other transport options to get you closer.
    Sacramento to Albany NY, then catch bus / train. You just say you are from NY. Is this NYC or elsewhere in NY state?

A quick check on Southwest shows SMF ALB on Christmas Day is $211 each. Return not so cheap until around 7 January though.

Or SMF Baltimore Christmas day is $190 each. Then 2 1/2 hours on the train to NYC. Return fares $292 on 1st Jan, & $141 8th Jan.

This may totally not be what you want to do, however it is a strategie that most of us use when we are trying to get somewhere, & know that cheaper fares are to be had if we go a bit out of our way, or fly on creative days.

marcwint55 and Newscience like this.
  18. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live in California and have the card. I use it with Bluebird and have been earning 10,000 miles per month between my wife's bluebird and mine.

vickers and LarryInNYC like this.
  19. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Care to share how and when you applied and what you're usage patterns are? I'd love to have this card (I'm self-employed and pay my own taxes, a potentially large source of miles if I could earn from them) but I live in New York.

marcwint55 likes this.
  20. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I applied over the phone and I keep $3,000 or more in the account at all times to avoid a monthly fee. I load up at Walmart five days per month for $1000 per day on each of the two bluebirds. I've had the card for about one year now. I also have the BofA Alaska debit card and the UFB AA debit card.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  21. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    May I assume you don't have a business or convenience address in any of the state Sun Trust operates branches in?

Are the Bluebird transactions the sole use of the account? Do you ever make large payments (like taxes) directly from the debit card?

Finally, how do you get money into the account? Transfer from Bluebird?

Thanks for the info, I'm very interested in this card.

marcwint55 and vickers like this.
  22. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your assumption is correct, as I am in California.

Bluebird is pretty much the sole use of the card, as I wanted to use it for property taxes in Los Angeles, but they do not accept a Mastercard debit card for payment. The largest payment I make is a $3,000 mortgage payment on one of my houses.

I use paypal to put money into the Sun Trust acct.

23. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1. Surprising that no one here told you to sign up for the frequent flyer program of the airline you choose to fly. Never leave miles on the table. Join as many programs as possible. It costs nothing to sign up for their FF program. There are several good online tools to help you find the cheapest airfare if you are flexible in your travel dates. Search ITA matrix. Also people here usually are very willing to help. Welcome to MP.

24. FranklyMe

FranklyMe Active Member

Status Points:
    I am in California and got a SunTrust debit card with no problem.