Flying China Airlines - Fastest way to get FF status with what programme?

Discussion in 'SkyTeam' started by EBGflyer, Jul 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. EBGflyer

EBGflyer Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be flying China Airlines (CI) on a trip from USA to Philippines and possibly also Aeroflot (Asia->Europe) although I usually stick to Star Alliance carriers where I'm *Gold. CI's one-way fare was just unbeatable.

As I won't be earning *A-miles on this trip I was wondering what other FF-programme in the SkyTeam alliance would give me the best benefits and not least the quickest way. I'm already a Delta SkyMiles member, but all my earlier earned miles expired.

One thing I have noticed is that DL SkyMiles don't have expiry on their miles anymore, which is a huge advantage. That would allow me to fly SkyTeam once in a while and once I have enough mileage, I can redeem for something useful.

But I have some questions for you:
    - Which FF-Programme in SkyTeam has the lowest threshold for higher membership status?
    - Is there any other FF-programme in the alliance with no mileage expiry?
    - Is there any other FF-programme outside the alliance which allows you to accumulate miles flying China Airlines (or Aeroflot)?

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK all ST members have a 25k mile minimum for ST Elite, but Elite status is quite pointless throughout, you want to get to Elite Plus (50k) to have any real benefits.
    You can check both China Airlines Website and Aeroflot's website to find out if there any outside alliance partners, it shouldn't take too long to figure it out, though just based on gut I doubt they'd share a partner outside the alliance.

3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    skyvan likes this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stand corrected.
    The 40k on MEA sounds like a pretty good deal.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except for poor earning, poor burning, and elite status on an airline you're unlikely to fly much. I'm not sure there's a better general-purpose program than DL in skyteam, if you're not going to stick with the carrier you fly.

daemon14 likes this.
  6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. The only Skyteam programs that I would ever really take a look at are DL, AF/KL, and KE, all of which are major carriers and have decent transfer programs with AmEx or Chase.

7. .Ryan

.Ryan Active Member

Status Points:
    DL is one of the best choice in the alliance

8. lightwarrior

lightwarrior Active Member

Status Points:
    You may consider CZ (China Southern Airlines), a lot of people may not realize that they are operating in km not miles. In order to get to Elite, it's 40,000 km = 18182 miles. For Elite Plus is 80,000 km = 36364 miles. Hope that info helps. Thank you!

Thomask likes this.