Flying Cheap

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Courcoison, Nov 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Evening:
    As Continental and United are becoming one entity, PBS is rebroadcasting this evening their original program about the crash of flight 3407 nearly three years ago and ask the question:
    why haven't new safety rules been implemented ?
    I fly a lot of those small regional flights on a weekly basis , mostly United Express operated by Skywest.
    Should we be concerned about Colgan joining United Airlines ?
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...why-havent-new-safety-rules-been-implemented/

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uh...Surely you did know that Colgan (9L) flew for United Express prior to the UACO Merger right?

3. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope.
    I mostly fly in the Western United States and abroad.

4. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No reason to be concerned with flying Colgan, as a matter of fact the Q400 flying experience is much more pleasant than on the EMBs or the CR2s.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a while since I watched that documentary, but I don't think that was my conclusion back then.

6. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Potential safety concerns are one of the many reasons I avoid regional jets like the plague. I'm aware that the "concerns" may be vague and poorly defined (and that driving to the airport is far riskier than flying a regional airline) but I'll take a veteran UA crew anytime over overworked, underslept kids from Colgan and co (with all due respect to them.) I don't know if Colgan is better or worse than its peers. Regional airlines crew all pretty much have the same working conditions and experience afaik.

FWIW as much as we love to hate other major airlines like USAir, they're probably on par with UA and well above regionals from a safety standpoint. USAir did demonstrate the fine skills and airmanship of its pilots a couple years ago...

In other words, Colgan being more prominent at UA is no news to me. I don't intend to fly them ;)

mowogo and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.