Flying AA Codeshare on Alaska Metal: Checked Baggage Allowance

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by oscietra, Aug 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello!

I'm flying to PSP on an AA codeshare, AA flight number, in Y, using Alaskan metal.

I'm oneworld Emerald, and was expecting to get at least the first bag free.

Is this the case? Tried looking at both AA and Alaskan's web pages, but the codeshare baggage policy isn't clear.

Anyone know if Alaskan waive baggage fees for Emeralds?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well what is your route and are you flying AS the entire way?

If you are checking in with AS to start your journey - no exemption. If you checked in with AA first and connected to an AS flight, AA's baggage rule would apply. Same goes for flights with HA.

You might find this LINK helpful, it goes over the experience of flying with AS from an AA perspective.

Microwave likes this.
  3. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last month I flew with Alaska, beginning my jorney in Sea with Horizon. And they didn't charge me for my bag, I even gave the money to the agente and she said to me: We don't charge Elite customers from AA!!!

I was surprise. I didn't say anything. Still think it was a mistake!!! But no complaints about that!!!

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. The AS thread on the AA forum on TOBB has quite a few references to how people are looking for AA's partnership to strengthen with AS, particularly on baggage fees. As far as I can tell there hasn't been a change to the policy.

:confused:

5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah!!! I was even more surprised than you are!!

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the old trick of checking the bag curbside with an obvious nice tip still tend to result in a bag fee "waiver"? You might want to try this if OLCI doesn't lead to a discounted bag fee when prepaid, in which case you wouldn't even hope to get a refund at the counter anyway.

7. ashill
    Original Member

ashill Active Member

Status Points:
    I too am surprised to hear about the waived checked bag fee on AS for an AA elite. Alaska has a clearly-articulated policy. Note that the table explicitly lists free checked bags for Delta elites, but not AA elites. That's consistent with my experience on AS flight numbers. I've never flown AS metal with an AA flight number, but my understanding is that metal at check-in matters, not flight number. Do note this paragraph:

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Were you connecting internationally after the AS flight you got your fees waived on?

From ashill's quote is seems like that might be a possible cause?

9. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, it was a SEA - PDX flight!!! No international Connection, but the reservation had a international leg PDX - DFW - GIG!!!!

10. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your responses. I'm not connecting internationally, so I guess I'm out of luck here.

It's only $20/bag so not the end of the world; I'll see what an upgrade to F costs and work out if it's worthwhile doing that.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Was your flight from DFW within 12 hours of you leaving SEA? Seems like under the section of AS rules ashill posted that's why you received an exemption.

12. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, my flight from DFW was 5 days after me leaving SEA!!!

13. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes you luck out. I'm sure its just AS trying to pave the way for AA agreement. DL elites were upgraded on AS long before DL followed that arrangement

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should be $50 as a day of flight upgrade (or probably a lot more as an upfare), but it will only be available at the airport because you're on American ticket stock (read: everyone and their uncle will have a shot at upgrading for free as an AS/DL elite or buying the upgrade on Alaska tickets during online checkin before you do).

If you go do a dummy booking on AS's site, if there's a small "U" next to some of the fares, that means AS is offering free upgrades to elites on that route (by making the U bucket open), and that probably gives you a fighting chance IF there aren't a lot of elites waitlisted for the free upgrade. I don't fly the PSP routes, but SEA-LAX/BUR are generally easy upgrades, with there being an occasional PA announcement at the gate saying people can upgrade for $50.

15. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your detailed responses...thought I'd update (a little after the fact!) that I managed to score the last F upgrade, and enjoyed a relaxing window seat and a VERY strong vodka cranberry!

Interesting my ticket did not grant lounge access, but used my Priority Pass and straight onto the aircraft via priority boarding.

AS is an excellent airline - super-friendly checkin, lounge and cabin crew staff. Top marks!

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've only flown twice with AS (in Y) but I didn't think they were too bad. Definitely would fly again.

AS allows F class entry into their lounges, so I'm assuming your AA codes messed that access up.

17. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    In this case standard Alaska Airlines baggage rules do apply. Same for all codeshare flights - the operating carrier's baggage rules will apply.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're OW Emerald, just status match to Alaska. They should match to MVP Gold, then you don't have to worry about baggage fees for a year or so.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I always though AS's status match was only good for a calendar year, so a match done today would only be good till 1/1/2012. Better to wait till 2012 to do this in that case?

20. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm also under the impression that these matches can be done either once in a lifetime or once every five years... In either case, it isn't a long-term solution as the following year you'd be back to square one.

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also, does anyone know off the top of their heads if AS status matches to non-US programs? All the information I've seen talks about US-based programs. Would AS match to CX/BA/JL?