FlyForward: Month of May Membership Drive for our Kiva.org support

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by Randy Petersen, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    FlyForward
    Through the Kiva.org lending program, milepoint members are helping small business owners across the globe build a better future for themselves, their families, and their communities.

And it is working. Since launching in March members have loaned out nearly $75,000!

But, we want to grow, and we want to pay it forward. Toward that effort, we are on a membership drive.

Be one of the first 200* to join the milepoint Kiva lending team in May and milepoint will match $25 of your loan! Any by "match"—we really mean that we will actually give you a $25 Kiva credit to loan and when that loan is paid back, that $25 is yours to keep and loan again and again.

UPDATE: On May 24th we reached our goal of 200 new members to the team (for the $25 match) and the team keeps growing — a wonderful testament to milepoint and its member base. Thank you all.

As frequent flyers we strive to maximize our miles, points and rewards. And while we enjoy the rewards we earn as we travel the world, there is no reward quite so enjoyable as the feeling that comes from helping others along the way.

As the only major forum for frequent flyers that is owned, managed and operated by actual frequent flyers, we are pleased to say that all four co-founders of milepoint – Randy Petersen, gleff, Tommy777 and Pizzaman – are lending $500 apiece to support the efforts of our members.

Join the milepoint Kiva lending team today and find out how enjoyable it can be to pay the rewards forward.

Here's how this will work.
    1. Learn about the milepoint team here.
    2. Learn about Kiva here and here.
    3. Register to loan on Kiva here (and yes, many milepoint members use mileage earning credit cards to fund their initial loans)
    4. You can join the team and lend as little as $25 to a small business owner, no big pockets required.
    5. Once registered, join this thread and raise your hand as a new member to the lending team during May and milepoint will provide a $25 Kiva credit to match your first loan as a member of this team. This Kiva credit is yours to keep once paid back, and the group does hope you will re-loan and re-loan.
    6. Help grow the lending team by displaying one of the many special Kiva Avatars on your milepoint account.

*If we achieve our goal to add 200 new members to the Kiva lending team in May, milepoint has a very special surprise for a random member of the lending team. By definition we can't tell you precisely what this surprise will be, but as the winner will be selected from the lending team the odds of winning are very good – and the prize will not disappoint.

AND we've had some fun. We have replaced our Avatar on our Twitter account to reflect the Kiva lending team for milepoint. Now, how cool is that? (feel free to follow us). And Twitter isn't all—check out this cool Facebook page for our Kiva membership drive.

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    snap, canucklehead, MrsBobSgt and 5 others like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a really wonderful thing to do. Thanks for giving us even more reasons to be with milepoint.

snap, canucklehead, nime01 and 4 others like this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    A great community-building and -helping endeavor! Thanks also to Randy, gleff, Tommy777 and Pizzaman for their generous contributions to make the Milepointers/Kiva event even more successful.

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see a referral field on the Kiva registration form. Is there a referral offer in effect right now?

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Kiva always offers the ability to refer or invite people to become members. There are no points or perks associated with this, but if you want a referral, I'm happy to give you one. Just send me your email via conversation.

jbcarioca, nime01, snap and 1 other person like this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back in October 2010, it appears that Kiva did a friend referral program. Refer 5 new members, and get a $25 Kiva credit for your own account. I didn't know if that was something that came along more often. Apparently not.

8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh yeah, now I remember that. I have no idea if they make such offers frequently. I've only been with Kiva for a year.

jbcarioca, nime01 and MSPeconomist like this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had mentioned that I would do $500, well I didn't want to let the week end without making good on that, I've signed up for Kiva and funded the account with $500, joined the Milepoint lending team. Will learn all of the ins and outs of this!

We're about halfway to 200, time for folks to sign on, with any amount that's personally significant.

misman, jbcarioca, nime01 and 5 others like this.
  10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wonderful to have you "officially" on the team.
    Kiva has 1808 loans available right now, the largest amount I've seen in my year on Kiva. So, right now is great time to find loans. Many people will be getting loan repayments on or soon after the 15th, and those loans will quickly get funded. So, jump in with your loans soon, if you can.

11. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just joined Kiva and lent $25

Junca, jbcarioca, cheepneezy and 3 others like this.
  12. WINGSRCL
    Original Member

WINGSRCL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made my second loan to Kiva on behalf of our team.

Junca, Chimpy, jbcarioca and 5 others like this.
  13. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is terrific!
    I not only just joined Kiva and funded my first loan, but this is also my first post ;)
    Thanks for encouraging me to put my money where my mouth is!

Junca, misman, jbcarioca and 7 others like this.
  14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Welcome! I hope this is the beginning of much engagement on MP and with Kiva.

Chimpy, jbcarioca, nime01 and 2 others like this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice and welcome once again.

16. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Junca, misman, MSPeconomist and 2 others like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is really an amazing day. Every time I check there are more members and more loans. We are making a difference thanks to all of you. :D

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be great if we could get to 200 members today, before the month is half over? This looks like the most interesting active area of MP today so far.

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    During the last 45 minutes we have added three new members. If we keep up that rate until midnight in Colorado we'll be well above 200. It is just barelyt possible to make that goal MSPeconomist. Let's keep those referrals going! Maybe we can get some more publicity now that we are #2 in all categories for new Kiva members month to date.

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it would be cheating not to use midnight RDT for the goal. IIRC, Kiva is headquartered in California and we have a bunch of members in Hawaii.

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget the ones we have in Japan and other Asian countries!

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but they're on the other side of the international date line. Sunday should be ending rather than starting for them now.

23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I di not explain. We should give them until COD their Monday to sign up!;)

24. Raising my "hand".

I'm a long time (3 years) Kiva.org member, but have just joined MilePoint, joined your Kiva group to help reach or 200 membership goal, and made a loan.

Happy to be here.

-Chris

Junca, jbcarioca, misman and 3 others like this.
  25. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP and the team!

jbcarioca and Chimpy like this.