FlyerTalk Threads? Why?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheTourVan, Jun 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TheTourVan

TheTourVan Active Member

Status Points:
    I understand that for years this space (the rewards message board space) was dominated by one website. Its a good site for some and not so good for others. Along came some people (perhaps from there) that thought they could do a better job, or should I say create a different job and milepoint is now here.

Its not a brand new website, but spawned off another. Im not sure if it is just not the case in rewards message board sites, but in others, it happens all the time. I mean really, why should there be only one? Aren't choices what we love about reward programs? Well here is a choice in message boards.

I understand that one is rather large and deep and the other is fairly new, but everything has to start from somewhere. If anybody understands this, I do, because my life and career is based on something eerily similar (different field in a way). Now this is not a post about "oh gee MP is great", but rather a post with a question. Why is there always a new thread about "FlyerTalk this" and "FlyerTalk that"?

Why cant the FT stuff stay on that site, and the MP stuff stay on this site? Is it because this is merely a site for banned members (I dont believe that), or because there was only one game in town for a decade, so its the "norm"? Genuine questions as a new member to both sites that finds them rather off putting. As mentioned, based on my past and career, I know exactly what MP is going through and understand the nature of spinning off a message board to create one's own space.

Just random musings, but I just do not see the need for them because in the end it is just people complaining behind a keyboard on one side, and the owners/mods of this place working hard to be PC and use the adage of welcome to MP. Its a hard spot to be in, so why not just use the time typing up a rant about another forum on this forum into diving in and learning how this one operates?

I should add that a rant thread questioning threads on a topic, but then having it be a thread on that topic is rather "ironical" (yes that is a made up word).

Thanks for listening.

2. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not banned over at FT. I read a lot over there but interact with others mostly here due to the more collegial nature of this forum. That said, some view MP as a good place to come and vent. It seems to flare up from time to time, burn for a while and then, eventually, calm down.

C'est la vie.

3. TheTourVan

TheTourVan Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response Sed.

4. TheTourVan

TheTourVan Active Member

Status Points:
    The beat goes on. The more posts I read on here it appears that people show up after a banning and are here to vent. I just am not sure why its here and why some people cannot move past the idea of different message boards.

5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I'm not banned on FT, but I don't like some people's attitude. When I came to FT, the forum was fun, then as the internet grew, so did FT. But, in my personal opinion, FT became flooded with "trip advisor" type people. Folks that start a new thread (on a previously discussed topic), ask one question, then don't participate or give back.

I use MP and FT for real in-depth discussions about various part of travel, not to bitch or be treated disrespectfully because you're a moderator.

Sammich likes this.
  6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not banned. Just didn't like the attitudes from some. I post and read Milepoint solely now.

Sammich and KENNECTED like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. Difference being that you get in trouble here if you point out that there is a search feature ;)

KENNECTED and SuperKirby like this.
  8. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 with others here. I'm on FT quite a bit, even today. I just like it here better because, for some reason, people here just don't flame. It still surprises me how harsh people get over there. Not just at me, but the way they treat others. Its just the way the world is, I guess.

Sammich and KENNECTED like this.
  9. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    FT has been an institution and it still has a lot of value. There is space for more than 1 FQTV forum and it is up to MP to differentiate

10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FT is number one for a reason age,
    Near every McDonald you will find a Burger King,their is no Best Burger, except 5 Guy's...
    Each one offers something different, and a new idea or two is great, in this changing world.

11. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd submit that FT is number one for a reason: Inertia.

Technologically, MP is clearly light years ahead of FT. Sadly, only about 5% of FTers seem to care/appreciate the tech, look and feel, and ease of use of the site.

The best analogy might be Microsoft vs. Apple circa 1995. Of course, 18 years later, Apple is often considered to be an equal to MS, with different product pluses and minuses. It's entirely possible that it might take up to 18 years for MP to gain the same kind of standing and market share as FT.

FT is still the first place I go when there's breaking travel news or when I want to learn about some of the more obscure aspects of travel. I know, I'm participating in the wrong kind of cycle, but what can you do?

FriendlySkies likes this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., just what does it take to get banned from FT? I've read more than a couple of folks here on MP mentioning that they were banned on FT, almost as a "badge of honor". Just curious about why someone would be banned from either forum in the first place. And does that also mean that's it's easier to be banned from FT than from MP?

13. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Question a mod or respond to their IM and defend yourself. Apparently I'm "mean". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pete, FriendlySkies and Newscience like this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Kennected, that's very much appreciated! Evidently, Milepoint is a considerably more "kinder and gentler" travel forum! :)
    All the best, Newscience

KENNECTED likes this.
  15. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what I think of about 98 or 99% of the posters here.

Newscience likes this.
  16. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not banned from FT. I post here solely because it's more friendly and more social. I had to quit a secret Santa event on FT about a week after the list was posted (in early October...) because my company was sending me off and I couldn't do it in time.

Of course, moderator had to call me out on that - at least that's what it felt like.

Obviously I could have just not notify him and not send the gifts, but I'm not someone who doesn't take responsibility. Although the calling out was kind of unnecessary IMO.

I mostly lurk on FT now, but even that has become increasingly less.

bobsgt and KENNECTED like this.
  17. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always lurk on the bright side of life. ;)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    false, at least in my case(s)