Flyertalk really

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AdamAlex, Jun 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. I think Flyertalk is far too strict they seem to ban Multiple posts by the same person for no reason. Flyertalk its how I learn. I post multiple ideas on the forum and once I get info that I need I start to zoom on that info. Its how I learn and get info. That info is then read and then I make a plan and course of action reducing cities as I go. But my problem with Flyertalk they do not say why you are banned when I tried logging in they said I am weird for asking things like what is a good travel agent like come on. I was looking for FSPP. But they never after lots of emails they never respond. is the reason why you were banned. It was not like we think you post too much so it leaves much to be desired. I do not mind rules but some times clarification needs to be done on sites. Its not like I said something evil on the posts. I just wonder what the rational was he is asking questions so lets ban him ????

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

3. welcome to MP and fire away. Many of the mods on TOB are full of themselves and the so called power they think they have. On one Canadian airline board the majority of posters don't even fly anymore or don't fly on that airline. and the mods allow the garbage they post while genuine travellers get the shaft for either being opposed to the whining and negative stuff or asking questions about their needs.
    you will like it better over here. We don't take to whining or serial complaining to easily. If you have questions that are very generic go to the community board and ask there. People will sometimes poke gentle fun but will attempt to answer your questions while you get up to speed on the world of travel we all love to experience.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I won't speak for another board and another situation that I know nothing of, but it's important to remember that the world is not centered on you. If you choose to participate in an online forum, you should pay attention to whatever standards and customs are in place, and in addition to taking away information look to add value as well. This is how forums work.

If I had to guess, I would imagine you posted a whole bunch of overlapping threads, none of which anyone could understand what you were asking, or asked which such specific language that people figured your mind was made up and ignored them. Maybe after that you posted to the threads multiple times, or kept reposting variants of them. This is all guessing, but it's the reason that I suspect your thread here isn't getting much action.

Your posts are very difficult to understand, and don't make me want to participate in them. Your dismissal of London as "awful" is immature and indicates that you don't enjoy world cities that plenty of others do, but with no indication of why.

In short, they all say to me that "this guy is not worth replying to"

Sedosi, LETTERBOY, NYBanker and 2 others like this.
  5. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I really dont like checking out a few forums to see the same poster asking or saying the exact samething in each. If everyone did that the boards would be a total mess. The problem is sometimes the correct forum wont get the traffic that the wrong ones will. eg the OP should have asked their question in the Paris/France fourm on FT in the Destinations section or if they only wanted the top creme de creme hotels then in the Luxury Hotel forum. But its frowned upon (and rightly so imo) to post to each Hotel forum and or airline forums hoping to score where the traffic is heavier.(I have no idea in which forums the OP actually did post)

Besides RBPing multi posts, I too refrain from answering them except to remind the poster its against the T&Cs of FT

KENNECTED and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. I was not posting the same info on the forum, it was for different cities, but what did happen is that I could not get the info I wanted like that city is no good for you so I tend to have to go through expensive travel agents in Australia that charge anything between 300-800 dollars for a consultation or buy another round of expensive guide books. I did the biggest fail in London I ever did I am ashamed of that route that cost 50000 dollars to do.

7. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Feeding time may be over.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any more questions? Case closed.

Jett Rink likes this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    so much for hands off approach on threads, nice sanitizing MP

10. Why has flyertalk stop banning my IP address I wish they gave me a reason why they are banning me it would make it so less painless. But this site did!!!

11. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well Alex, I suggest you read through a site's rules before posting, it will prove helpful not only for your problems with FT but also avoiding any issues here & other boards too.

12. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a former moderator on a fairly large (non-travel) board I can tell you that, except on rare occasions, we never reached out to a ban member to explain, or give reasons why. For one, we didn't have time and 2.) (sad to say) out of sight out of mind.

All that said by the time we got around to actually pulling the plug and issuing an IP ban several warnings had been given and it should have been pretty clear what the case was. I can't comment on your case from FT because I wasn't involved but, in my experiences, IP bans don't occur in a vacuum.

As Travelsavant (sagely) stated above, know the rules. It also helps to approach others with a friendly attitude, lay off the multiple exclamation points and just try to have a discussion.

Also, this from mattsteg was gold as well:

13. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    In defense of OP, it really does no good to "know the rules" at FT, because many of the longtime mods there are narcissistic ego-maniacs. They have been "in power" and unchecked far too long, and have in many cases created their own little fiefdoms, to the detriment of the community as a whole. It is a pathetic bunch.

talkerfly likes this.