Flyer Alleges United Under-Awarded Miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Mar 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/...s-united-under-awarded-miles.html?id=14376144

What is the distance between two points?

Or, in the case of air travel, what is the distance between two airports?

In the 21st century, such mundane matters are widely assumed to be settled. With modern satellites and GPS systems, highly accurate measurements are easily made.

But a suit brought by a Chicago-based frequent flyer, Hangbo Han, alleges that United has routinely awarded him fewer miles than he actually flew, claiming that United's method of measuring flight distances consistently erred in the airline's favor.

Han's suit cites several specific examples. For instance, he earned 6,920 miles for a United flight between Beijing and Washington, D.C., but claims the "actual flown distance" was 7,276 miles.
    It would appear that the dispute hinges on differing definitions of "flight miles."

The distances cited by Han come from the website Flightaware and "other public sources." Flightaware is capable of tracking the actually flown distance for any given flight, including any deviations from the mathematically ideal flight path to avoid inclement weather or circle an airport while waiting for permission to land. Such measurements would meet the strict definition of "flown miles."

United refused to reveal the basis or source for the airport-to-airport distances it uses in awarding miles, citing the pending litigation. But the airline appears to be relying on the idealized and unvarying distance between airports: as the crow flies. That's entirely sensible, given the need to simplify and standardize. But the distances thus measured would more accurately referred to as "computed distance" rather than "flown distance."

Read More: http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/...s-united-under-awarded-miles.html?id=14376144

8MiHi, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for providing me an incentive to learn how to do :rolleyes:

:D

uggboy likes this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    This just in... United boots this jackass from MileagePlus. (j/k).

Some people take this stuff a bit too seriously.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is most surprising to me is that the guy chose to pursue this line of reasoning rather than the slightly more plausible line that United is shorting people even on the point-to-point distance. IAD-PEK credits at 6920 but it is actually 6921. EWR-HKG credits at 8060 but it is actually 8065. Those are discrepancies where it seems to me the claimant would be much more likely to succeed.

Also, the selective quoting of a random USA Today syndicated contribution as being authoritative about how points are earnt is pretty funny.

If anyone wants to read the actual filing I've got the PDF here.

5. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh good grief.

LETTERBOY, mht_flyer and uggboy like this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    This gentleman seems to be going to a lot of trouble for the general benefit of traveling public. With only a few hundred miles at stake in his particular case, I don't think there's much strictly selfish incentive for himself. If I'm getting the unselfish motives correctly, we can certainly appreciate the sentiment behind his actions (and refrain from name calling).

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  7. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    From reading the filing, I'm pretty sure this "altruistic" fella isn't just seeking his 356 missing miles...

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are two specific flights listed. But he is a "Premier" so he's actually flown thousands of miles in the past. And, as the lead part in the class action he's in line for a nice little chunk of change should the case settle with a cash payment, over and above what all the other members of the class get.And that's before we get in to discussing whether the claim is rational or based in fact.

It is also not entirely clear to be that winning the case would be in to the general benefit of the traveling public.

LETTERBOY and guberif like this.
  9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha, thanks! They'll prob settle then by paying off the lawyers, and nothing for the class.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The lawyers get paid separately from the class. They get a decent cut generally, but it is not in place of the class members.

Flyer1976 and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends...On a flat 2D surface, the shortest distance will be a straight line. On a sphere or a globe, which the earth is, it would be a curved line...;). The shortest distance between JFK and PEK is through the Earth's core (seen "The China Syndrome"?). So, Mr. Han might have a case...:D

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    If my 500 mile mins go away because of this I'm going to blow a chip.

ella, Flyer1976, ssullivan and 2 others like this.
  13. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fo sho

LETTERBOY and mht_flyer like this.
  14. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the use of miles goes away ...

Flyer1976, snod08 and Black Cloud like this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, the same lawyers also found lead plaintiffs such that they are going after US and DL as well. Cases are nearly identical.

Flyer1976 and LETTERBOY like this.
  16. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a waste of a lawsuit.. Any chance it will be thrown out?

I for one am sick of our sue-happy society.

ella, Flyer1976, ssullivan and 3 others like this.
  17. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's just remember we're talking about a company's loyalty program. I'm pretty sure it wasn't created in the Bill of Rights.

LETTERBOY and mht_flyer like this.
  18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I think this suit is fatuous, UA has been doing quite a bit in the last year plus to do away with loyalty.

Counsellor and MX like this.
  19. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As have DL and US, right? After all, they were all served with nearly identical suits last week.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The method of computing miles is a bit flakey. For example, miles from any of 3 New York CIty area airports generally are computed identically, yet they are miles apart.

The lawsuit on the other hand seems just plain dumb to me.

22. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I seem to recall hearing that flight miles were calculated using nautical miles (about 6,076 feet) rather than standard miles ( 5,280 feet).

23. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there's a rather dizzying formula for the distance between two points on a globe... the great circle formula or something, which when expressed in miles is typically nautical miles. Doesn't really make sense any other way. Of course they can be converted to anything you want, but if you're going to report miles it's to the airline's advantage to use nautical miles.

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is a static conversion ratio between nautical miles and statute miles. The great circle calculation can be done in either unit (or any other unit of measure) and the number used by the airlines for crediting to accounts is the statute miles number.

25. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wikipedia gives the calculation here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great-circle_distance
    As an example they use BNA-LAX and get 1794 statute miles. Airline mileage for that route is around 1790, so statute miles they are.
    Of course you can convert to any unit you want. It's just that the definition of nautical miles lines up degrees of latitude so that's the usual way air mileage is calculated. Clearly though, as you point out, FF miles credited are not nautical.