Fly or Drive Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool little site from befrugal.com... I thought it'd be a simple calculator but it actually takes into account a lot of little factors.

You first enter the basic details that go into calculating the cost of a trip: origin, destination, dates and number of travelers. That in itself often is enough to figure out whether you should or shouldn't drive there, but the site takes a lot more relevant input.

You can enter what kind of car you drive (to calculate fuel economy and therefore fuel costs). You enter how many hours you would theoretically drive and the cost of a hotel (in case you need to stop). You enter how much time you need at the airport, how much checked bags cost, even how you're getting to the airport (since a cab or parking would affect overall cost of flying).

The site then displays the theoretical comparison of driving compared to flying.

http://www.befrugal.com/tools/fly-or-drive-calculator/

jmrich1432 and Gardyloo like this.
  2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very cool site, thanks.

3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just tried it out! Awesome tool, thanks for the link!

4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting. Just plugged it in for an upcoming trip where I've already decided I'm driving. The airfare shown is a little low, but the gasoline cost is right on.