Fly&Dine Interview+Giveaway: Frequent Miler + $50

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Aug 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    It’s been a while, but the Fly&Dine Interview+Giveaway series is back! For this installment, we’re talking to Frequent Miler, one of the best guides for the credit card game on BoardingArea. We got the skinny on incorporating food into your mileage strategy and if you hang around until the end of the interview, you’ll be rewarded with a chance to win a $50 gift card to Starbucks by answering this week’s giveaway question in the comments section. Now let’s get to that interview… You’re a master of credit cards, so which cards work best for food-lovers? Two of my favorites are the US Bank Cash+ card and the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. The no fee US Bank Cash+ card lets cardholders choose two 5% cash back category each quarter, and Restaurants is one of the categories that can be chosen. This will give you 5% cash back on all restaurant spend with a limit of $2,000 spend per quarter. Meanwhile, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card gives cardholders 2 points per dollar for all dining and travel purchases. And, on the first Friday of each month, they offer 3 points per dollar for dining. The points earned can be redeemed for cash, or, better yet, converted to airline and hotel loyalty programs for award travel. When you’re going on a mattress run/mile run, what’s your strategy for food? I rarely do mattress runs or mileage runs, so it’s hard to say. When I’m with my wife I’m more likely to splurge on the best available food. When by myself, I’m more likely to pickup a slice of pizza. What’s the best meal you’ve ever had outside of your home city? What made it so special? That’s a really tough question to answer, partly because I’ve had so many terrific meals and partly because I have a terrible memory :). One that comes to mind was dinner in Lufthansa’s first class lounge in Frankfurt. I ordered the Tom Yum Goong soup after an enthusiastic recommendation from the waiter. It was fantastic! The irony was that I was on my way to Bangkok at the time, yet this Thai soup was better than anything I tried while in Thailand. And, that’s saying a lot since the food in Bangkok was great! If you could use your miles for a meal at the best restaurant in the world or a one-night stay in the world’s best hotel, which would you choose and why? Assuming both options represent equally good value for my miles, I would go for the best restaurant in the world. While I very much appreciate getting a good night’s sleep in a fine hotel, I can’t imagine my sleep being that much better in the best hotel than anywhere else. On the other hand, I bet that the best restaurant in the world would serve food that even I would remember for years to come. Would you fly in and out of an airport just because you liked their dining options? What’s your favorite airport restaurant? I could certainly imagine picking one route over another if I knew that one had better dining options. But, no, I wouldn’t fly somewhere just to eat the airport food if that was the sole purpose of the flight. My favorite airport restaurant must be the Lufthansa first class lounge. Looks like a visit to the Lufthansa First Class Lounge is in order! Thanks for weighing in, Frequent Miler! Now it’s time for the Fly&Dine giveaway. This week, I’m giving away $50 to Starbucks for answering this simple question in the comments: What’s the best meal you’ve ever had outside of your home city and what made it so special? On Sunday night, I’ll choose a winner at random from the comments and that lucky person will get to enjoy lattes and espressos galore! What are you waiting for??? ENTER NOW! Find past Fly&Dine interviews here: Points & Pixie Dust View from the Wing Hack My Trip Million Mile Secrets Points, Miles, and Martinis One entry per person. No purchase necessary. In fact, there’s nothing to purchase. By entering, you agree that you’re cool with the fact that Fly&Dine makes all the decisions and those decisions are final, even if you don’t like them. Contest closes at 11:59pm Pacific on Sunday 8/17/2014. Winner will be contacted via email. Please provide a valid email address when leaving your comment. If we don’t receive a response from you after one week of being notified, a new winner will be chosen at random. The post Fly&Dine Interview+Giveaway: Frequent Miler + $50 appeared first on Fly & Dine.

Continue reading...