Flu Shots - do you get one? Why or why not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Discuss

Jetbee likes this.
  2. xristopher

xristopher Active Member

Status Points:
    Am I being cynical?

Check out My Eye On The Flu Shot

Jetbee and Newscience like this.
  3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't had one in a few years. I was turned off by the implementation of the H1N1 flu vaccine. Then they "incorporated" it with the annual flu vaccine. I've been fine (other than my allergies.)

Jetbee likes this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I typically pay for all my employees to get flu shots because of the loss of their own personal time and productivity toward some of the work here at the HOM. Myself, i skipped a year or two because of distractions of too much travel and suffered by getting the flu (likely from 'travel') so promised myself i'd get back into it this year. It does seem that in the years i did get flu shots, i did not get the flu and certainly did get it when i did not.

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always get them - does not hurt and it may help.

Jetbee, Traveller and Sunshine7 like this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. But I have my doctor put it in a shot glass for me.

Jetbee and wrxmom like this.
  7. santafefran
    Original Member

santafefran Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually don't get one--have only had the flu once. The year after that I got one and then a few months later I came down with Bell's Palsy followed a few days later by Shingles (before the vaccine was available). While there is no scientific evidence that there is a connection, there is anecdotal info connecting them so now I take my chances with the flu. My husband, who usually gets a flu shot, forgot to take one this year and got the flu, but I didn't catch it from him. Yay! Bullet-proof?

Jetbee likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    arent these shots some make money thing that the evil drug companies sell by the millions to fatten up their profits....? :p

Jetbee likes this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always get one and have not had the flu since starting them. We have a service that comes to our office every year and it is very convenient.

Jetbee likes this.
  10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will be getting one once I get my new insurance card :)

Jetbee likes this.
  11. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get a flu shot every year and have never caught the flu despite an aggressive travel schedule in East Asia.

A cheap and easy insurance policy!

Jetbee likes this.
  12. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first time I ever got the flu was after my first ever flu shot. So i dont like them. However, with 2 young kids, we get it every year now. Dangerous for young children to get the flu.

13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can tell you one thing a Physician will lose his Hospital privilege's if they do not have a current one

Jetbee and anileze like this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely get the flu shot every year if you are able to do so! It sure beats being sick with the flu!
    The CDC recommends that everyone older than 6 months get the vaccine. Only those that may have a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine or other special contraindications should avoid it, see the CDC's influenza vaccine guidance:
    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm
    There are two types of influenza vaccines, the traditional shot (a killed virus vaccine) and a nasal spray (attenuated live virus vaccine). You cannot get the nasal spray vaccine if you are younger than two years old or older than 49 years old. It is not possible to get the flu from the vaccine! See the CDC website, or call your local or state health agency's influenza program or your personal physician for more information.
    These days it's pretty easy to get the flu shot in most states. Pharmacists in CVS drugstores give the shot in states where they are able to do so. We got a reminder call last week that the flu vaccine was available at the CVS in Honolulu that we were at last year - wish that we were back there to get the shot! :D

Jetbee and anileze like this.
  15. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    In NYC, in certain medical facility it is mandatory for all personnel to get one, and then a sticker is attached to their Badge/iD. Only under rare exemptions, one has to then wear proteCtive mask.

16. Jetbee

Jetbee Active Member

Status Points:
    I have been getting the flu shot every year since 1997 and never have any problems other than a sore arm for a couple of days.

Chimpy and Newscience like this.