Flights - US (East Coast) to Singapore (SIN) - Maldives

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Jsm1985, Dec 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jsm1985

Jsm1985 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to take a trip to Maldives in the distant future (probably 1-2 years away) and I wanted to start planning on collecting airline points. I've done a little research and it seems the easiest way to get there is through Singapore. I know there will be at least a couple stops to get to Maldives. I would prefer to make the trip as short as possible (i.e., direct flight).

FYI - have around 100K delta points and around 25-60K in the other major airlines right now. I'm relatively new to the game and I've completed 1 app-o-rama.

Any suggestions appreciated!

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll withdraw my suggestion, then, since the OP withdrew the background from his post.

3. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Might be time to find a girlfriend who enjoys travel.

I hear there are websites that setup women who like to travel with guys who like "the finer things in life".

You're current girlfriend may be more suited for a guy who prefers the occasional road trip via camper than First Class Maldives Flights.

Just saying, life's full of options ;)

4. thepointstraveler

thepointstraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the options from The Points Guy, TK is launching service to MLE from IST.

6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This drives me nuts, a person edits their post after some replies....then the replies make no sense. :)

Yes, I am a loser with no life.

7. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just reread Op... Now my post makes no sense either ;)

eponymous_coward and edekba like this.
  8. needtoescape

needtoescape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Living in the Washington DC area, Qatar was one of the more direct options for me (IAD - DOH - MLE). Qatar is joining One World (not sure of the date if it has even been announced but I was thinking some time in 2013), so you may be able to use American Airlines miles to the Maldives on QR. I looked at BA but didn't like the idea of having to transfer airports in London with my luggage. I went almost two years ago, so flight schedules might have changed, but at that time, the SQ flight into MLE arrived late at night, so you could not get a seaplane transfer to the resort until the next morning. Qatar's early morning flights into MLE and early evening flights out worked great to maximize prime beach time at the resort.

9. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went in Dec on with AA miles and Hyatt points. DFW-JFK on AA then Etihad JFK-AUH-MLE (stayed 2 nights in AUH which was nice). The return was MLE-FRA-DFW. Booked the award 10 mths in advance. Wonderful trip. Many thanks to Gary Leff for pointing me to the routing thru AUH. Plus, I would not have known about the free airport transfers Etihad provides to Business class without the advice. This came in very handy in AUH.