Flights hit by German strikes

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Mar 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flights hit by German strikes

[​IMG]

Newscience and sobore like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strike forces Lufthansa to cancel 600 flights

Lufthansa has been forced to cancel around 600 flights today due to strike action by ground staff, baggage handlers and maintenance workers.

Public services sector union Verdi has called for a strike among its members in a long-running dispute over pay.

As a result of the industrial action, Lufthansa said it is cancelling "almost all domestic and European flights" scheduled before 1400 at both Frankfurt and Munich airports.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100367/strike-forces-lufthansa-to-cancel-600-flights

Flyer1976, Newscience and sobore like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a continuation of the "one day strikes" carried out by the union for Lufthansa last year. Sadly, it doesn't appear to have an end in sight. I'm sure that this is hurting LH's profits.

Flyer1976, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  4. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My friend and family were affected by this in a very positive way. They got in on a fare mistake to Milan and it was a crazy 3 connection via FRA. With the strike, they got rerouted on a direct EWR-MXP in Y. talk about lucky. The entire group got E+ though he is the only *S in the group.

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and something similar occurred to me about a year ago during an LH "strike day". I was in IST and scheduled to travel to IAD via FRA via LH, with a commensurate many-hours long layover in FRA. The sole LH desk open at IST handed me a THY direct ticket to from IST to EWR, with the follow on short-hop flight to IAD. I was saved many hours in commuting and terminal waiting time, and enjoyed the nice treatment while flying coach on THY. I'd recommend THY in coach after this experience, especially if you can score an exit row seat (the THY FA let me do this after takeoff).

WilliamQ, satman40 and uggboy like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

This was not a strike of Lufthansa employees. Lufthansa flights (and others, presumably) were affected because the striking employees are needed for airport operations.

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/pr...eview/archive/2014/march/26/article/2862.html

7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    HMWT, of course you're right. And it turns out that the same union (Verdi) that has gone on strike and affected LH before, is doing it again.
    Newscience

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Give it a bit of time and then the pilots will strike. They have already approved the strike.

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Verdi has a certain point here, why? Because some airport workers especially @ FRA get fewer paid for the same job than at other airports in Germany.

Newscience likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am fairly certain I get paid less than someone doing the same job at another company (*). Time to start the weekend early. :)

(*) I am also fairly certain I get paid more than someone doing the same job at yet another company.

WilliamQ and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never was Germany so fragmented however, and being born and have grown up in Germany I should know a little about this, I've seen first hand when unions were wrong and yes, I also spotted times when they're right and sadly Germany has adopted a system which isn't really consistent anymore with their original thinking of having a society which cares at least in the basics, I've never seen Germany getting so fragmented since the last decade. Oh yeah, many call it "Americanization of Germany" where fragmentation and "you on your own is seen as beautiful". Oddly, I never saw that as beautiful. Regarding your views, yes, they're right in a personal way, but wouldn't you little bit disturbed about such practices when the same contractor would pay you fewer than others doing the same job, only they doing it on another location in the same country? Unlike others here, I like a more harmonized society without too many gates.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not the case here, it's that someone does the same work with the same contractor in the same country, but gets paid less. That's the strike is all about.

Regarding your Indian co-workers, thinking about it, they must doing something right then.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I certainly would want my salary to take cost of living into consideration. San Francisco has a significantly higher CoL than Eureka, CA. Same state. So if the same contractor offered a lower salary for a job at ACV compared to SFO, that would make sense to me. The same is presumably true in Germany.

There's also the question of supply and demand. In some areas with higher unemployment there may be more demand for the jobs, so less pressure to offer higher salaries to attract people to the job.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    FYI: I had deleted my post while you replied because I had realized I had misread your post. My international example didn't address your point.

uggboy likes this.
  15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, now we can look at it this way, but IMHO it's a myth as cost / salary / spent / fighting for jobs all balances out somehow, especially in location in the same country. I can't imagine that FRA would be a cheaper location then HAM.

16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This happens to the best of us, but I'm glad you gave this International example. It's interesting to know, and no, I have no driver and never had one engaged so far in my life, beside some hotel limousine drivers.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear, I have no position on the strike itself because I don't have enough information. However, IF their only argument is that the salaries aren't the same all across the country, that doesn't make any sense to me. They may very well be too low in particular locations, but that's a different story and argument.

18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, regarding FRA the salary could be too low, that's something I thought about a long time ago, it's not the first time I'm reading this, nor is it the first time they're striking. So many issues these days, it's not easy to keep up, especially when it's not really related to us in regards of what we do and how we live.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    "ver.di fordert in der laufenden Tarifrunde Entgelterhöhungen von 100 Euro plus zusätzlich 3,5 Prozent, eine Erhöhung der Ausbildungsvergütung um 100 Euro monatlich sowie die unbefristete Übernahme der Auszubildenden. Für die Nahverkehrsbeschäftigten fordert ver.di eine Zulage von 70 Euro. Für das Krankenhauspersonal sollen die Nachtzuschläge von 15 Prozent auf das Niveau der Nachtzuschläge im restlichen öffentlichen Dienst (20 Prozent) angehoben werden."

http://www.verdi.de/themen/nachrichten/ co c93e94fc-b42c-11e3-a658-52540059119e

Doesn't say they want raises for one location to match others. Seems they want an across-the-board 3.5% raise + 100 Euros. Also note that ver.di isn't just negotiating for airport employees. They are the (public) service union, and they represent employees in many different fields of service. It's just that by, say, having a relatively small number of airport security workers strike they can get a ton of publicity and have a lot of impact without a lot of effort.

(I am still not saying that I agree or disagree with them. 3.5% isn't particularly outrageous of a demand, but I still don't have enough information... or time to gather it)

Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.
  20. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  21. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lufthansa Pilots Start Three-day Strike

Lufthansa pilots started a three-day walkout on Wednesday in a dispute over early retirement, effectively grounding Germany's largest airline in one of the biggest strikes to hit the company.

Lufthansa has cancelled 3,800 flights during the strike, which runs until the end of Friday, and says the stoppage will cost it tens of millions of euros.

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1396442830.html

Newscience likes this.